1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    I have to be able to figure out eigenvalues and eigenvectors for 2x2 and 3x3 matrices for my physics course, but I have never taken linear algebra so I obviously have no idea what they even are. I need someone to basically teach me how to solve these problems because I have no knowledge of this material and cannot find any useful source to help me.

First I have to find the eigenvalues and vectors for

[a 0 1]
    [0 b 0]
    [0 0 c] where a =/= b =/= c.

I looked around online and could only find that the answers for the eigenvalues are a, b, and c but I have no idea how that answer is derived. And I have no idea how to solve for eigenvectors except so any help would be great.

Next I have to do the same thing for

[a a 0]
    [2a 0 0]
    [0 a a] where a =/= 0.

Again I know that the solution for the values is -a, a, and 2a but no clue on how to actually do the problem.

I know nothing of this material except how to figure out the determinant of a matrix. So detailed steps on how to solve for eigenvalues and eigenvectors would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

An eigenvalue λ and its eigenvector v are defined by:

Av = λv

That is, you try to find a vector that if you multiply A with it you find the same vector, except for length.

To solve this, you do:
    Av - λv = 0
    (A - λI)v = 0

This means (A - λI) must be singular, so its determinant must be zero.
    det(A - λI)=0 yields a polynomial in λ, that is called the "characteristic polynomial".
    Its roots are the eigenvalues of A.

Once you have an eigenvalue, you solve:
    (A - λI)v = 0
    to find a vector v (or its multiple) that satisfies the equation.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Applied to your first matrix you have:
    det(A - λI)=0
    (a-λ)(b-λ)(c-λ)=0
    Roots are a, b, and c.

For the first eigenvalue "a", you get:
    A - aI =
    [0 0 1]
    [0 b 0]
    [0 0 c]

The vector v=(1,0,0) satisfies (A - aI)v = 0, meaning that is the eigenvector.

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    So i understand how you get the eigenvalues but i'm still confused with how you are arriving at the answer for the eigenvector.

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The matrix A - aI can be row reduced to
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0&0&1\\0&1&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This represents the equation (A - aI)x = 0, where x is a column vector with coordinates x1, x2 and x3.

The reduced matrix represents the system
    x3 = 0
    x2 = 0
    with x1 being arbitrary. Since it's arbitrary, it's reasonable to set it to 1, giving the vector <1, 0, 0> as an eigenvector for the eigenvalue a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook