1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvectors & normalising

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1

kel

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I'm going over an old exam paper as part of my revision for upcoming exams (joy !! ok, maybe not :yuck: )

Anyway, I've gotten myself a bit lost here and would appreciate some guidance.
    Here we go:

Compute the eigenvalues & eigenvectors of the following matrix. Normalise the 2 eigenvectors.

Matrix = (3 1+i)
    (1-i 2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have the 2 eigenvalues being +1 and +4, but I'm having trouble with the next bit, I think that the eigenvectors will come out as complex numbers,

so far I have reduced to two equations:

2x + (1+i)y = 0
    (1-i)x + y = 0

ie 2x + (y+iy) = 0 (so, 2x = -y-iy)
    and x-ix + y = 0 (and y = -x+ix)

Is this correct?? if not why? and where do I go from here?

Also, I don't get the idea of normalisation (next part of question), I understand that it has something to do with setting the vector(i think) to 1, but I'm not sure. My lecturers notes aren't the easiest to follow outside of his lectures, so if you could walk me through it a bit I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    Kel

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is this a problem? You are working in a complex vector space, and so the eigen-vectors are entitled to have complex entries!
    I've not checked your work, but you look to be doing the correct method. Why not try solving eqns (1) and (2) for x and y?
    Normalised means that the vectors have unit length. Once you have the eigenvector, v, say, then the normalised vector is v/|v|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?