Eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix (specifically diagonalizing), but need a clarifying hint

• Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
bennyska

Homework Statement

find the diagonalizing matrix P of the matrix A
A=:
1 3 0
0 2 0
0 0 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i do the whole A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I3 thing and i find my eigenvalues to be [tex]\lambda = 1, 2[/tex]
when i do [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1, i get the matrix
0 3 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

which turns into
0 1 0
0 0 1
0 0 0

i guess here's my main question. can i have any eigenvectors from here that satisfy this equation? I'm getting a different solution than the book, but it's been a while since I've taken linear algebra (this is a differential equations class and this parts review), and i seem to recall that this doesn't need to be like the book (i.e. the book presents one possible solution; as long as my solution is linearly independent, it should be valid).
okay, so i just plugged it in and found out I'm incorrect.

so how do i find the solution to
0 1 0 | 0
0 0 1 | 0
0 0 0 | 0?

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

What equations correspond to that augmented matrix?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

And the first row of your second matrix should be [-1,0,0].

bennyska

And the first row of your second matrix should be [-1,0,0].

why? i thought the whole point of doing the eigenvalue was to get that to be zero? (at least in this part, when the particular eigenvalue cancels that out)

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

why? i thought the whole point of doing the eigenvalue was to get that to be zero? (at least in this part, when the particular eigenvalue cancels that out)

And I thought you were subtracting the eigenvalue from the matrix diagonal.

bennyska

the original matrix:
1 3 0
0 2 0
0 0 2

eigenvalues 1, 2, 2

subtracting 1*identity

0 3 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

isn't that right?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Yes, it is. I was thinking one of your matrices was the one where you subtracted 2*identity. Now you need to find the null space of that matrix.

VeeEight

I believe that was his original problem - finding the null space.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

find the diagonalizing matrix P of the matrix A
A=:
1 3 0
0 2 0
0 0 2
I have never particularly liked that method of finding eigenvectors- I prefer working directly from the definition.

It is obvious that the eigenvalues of A are 1 and 2 with 2 being a double root of the eigenvalue equation.

Any eigevector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 must satify
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Multiplying that out we get x+ 3y= x, 2y= y, and 2z= z. The only solutions to the last two equations are y= z= 0 and any value of x then satifies the first. An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is <x, 0, 0>= x<1, 0, 0>.

Any eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 2 must satisfy
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 2x \\ 2y \\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Multiplying that out, we get the 3 equations x+ 3y= 2x, 2y= 2y, and 2z= 2z. The first equation gives us x= 3y and any values of y and z satisfy the last two. An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 2 must be of the form <3y, y, z> = y<3, 1, 0>+ z<0, 0, 1>. That is, {<1, 0, 0>, <3, 1, 0>, <0, 0, 1>} is a basis for the entire space consisting of eigenvectors of A. If we take P to be the matrix having those vectors as columns:
[tex]P= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
then P-1AP is a diagonal matrix.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i do the whole A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I3 thing and i find my eigenvalues to be [tex]\lambda = 1, 2[/tex]
when i do [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1, i get the matrix
0 3 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

which turns into
0 1 0
0 0 1
0 0 0

i guess here's my main question. can i have any eigenvectors from here that satisfy this equation? I'm getting a different solution than the book, but it's been a while since I've taken linear algebra (this is a differential equations class and this parts review), and i seem to recall that this doesn't need to be like the book (i.e. the book presents one possible solution; as long as my solution is linearly independent, it should be valid).
okay, so i just plugged it in and found out I'm incorrect.

so how do i find the solution to
0 1 0 | 0
0 0 1 | 0
0 0 0 | 0?[/QUOTE]

Suggested for: Eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix (specifically diagonalizing), but need a clarifying hint

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views