How does QFT explain the world around us?

• Thread starter jlcd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary: ThanksBillNo one in their right mind would attempt to use QFT to explain the world around...ThanksBill
jlcd
In molecules, the system (say dna or ribosomes) environment are the cells.. id like to know how much is the momentum basis selected and how this can affect the molecules energies and to what extend and actual examples of that in this internal human body decoherence scenerio. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jlcd said:
id like to know how much is the momentum basis selected

I would say not at all. Most interactions, and that certainly would be the interactions in a cell, are radial in nature (ie have rotational symmetry) and it is well known that singles out the position basis.

Singling out the momentum basis is pretty much a contrived thing - not occurring naturally.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I would say not at all. Most interactions, and that certainly would be the interactions in a cell, are radial in nature (ie have rotational symmetry) and it is well known that singles out the position basis.

Singling out the momentum basis is pretty much a contrived thing - not occurring naturally.

Thanks
Bill

Could you give an example of inducing a molecular system to choose momentum basis? What would be the effect of it? Can it make the molecular have more kinetic energy?

jlcd said:
Could you give an example of inducing a molecular system to choose momentum basis?

I have zero idea how to do that.

The only momentum outcomes I know of are contrived where you have a set-up designed to measure momentum.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I have zero idea how to do that.

The only momentum outcomes I know of are contrived where you have a set-up designed to measure momentum.

Thanks
Bill

Can you give example of a simple quantum system where the momentum is measured.. and does it mean the system has no position or localization? Or does momentum measurement also involve position?

jlcd said:
Can you give example of a simple quantum system where the momentum is measured.

Sure. Run an electron beam through a magnet an the circular path gives you the momentum. And no I can't really think of others - you will need to chat to an experimental type.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Sure. Run an electron beam through a magnet an the circular path gives you the momentum. And no I can't really think of others - you will need to chat to an experimental type.

Thanks
Bill

Does this this running electron beam through a magnet an the circular path giving the momentum also give the position? Or is there no localization?

For molecules. Giving it more kinetic energy or even causing electron transitions is still related to position basis or momentum?

added: but momentum is supposed to be the energy of the atom.. so I thought giving it more kinetic energy means it is momentum related...

jlcd said:
Does this this running electron beam through a magnet an the circular path giving the momentum also give the position?

Of course not - how does it tell the position of any electron in the beam.

Thanks
Bill

jlcd said:
added: but momentum is supposed to be the energy of the atom..

It isn't. That's really basic classical physics.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
It isn't. That's really basic classical physics.

Thanks
Bill

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physica...nics/10:_Multi-electron_Atoms/Quantum_Numbers

"The Orbital Angular Momentum Quantum Number (l'>l l )
The orbital angular momentum quantum number l determines the shape of an orbital, and therefore the angular distribution. The number of angular nodes is equal to the value of the angular momentum quantum number l'>l"

Mr. Hobba. The orbital angular momentum still use the position basis?? Then what is the momentum basis about?

jlcd said:
Mr. Hobba. The orbital angular momentum still use the position basis?? Then what is the momentum basis about?

Operators are basis independent, as are states.

Sometimes the momentum basis is better for solving problems than the position basis - mostly the wave-function which is a state expanded in terms of the position basis is used, but sometimes its better to use the momentum basis - especially in Quantum Field Theory.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Operators are basis independent, as are states.

Sometimes the momentum basis is better for solving problems than the position basis - mostly the wave-function which is a state expanded in terms of the position basis is used, but sometimes its better to use the momentum basis - especially in Quantum Field Theory.

Thanks
Bill

In QFT.. there is no position.. so no position basis is used.. but how come chairs and tables based on QFT (and momentum basis) has position and localizations?

1. What is Einselection in Molecules?

Einselection, short for environment-induced superselection, is a process by which a quantum system becomes entangled with its surroundings, leading to the emergence of classical properties such as definite values for observable properties. In molecules, this process helps to explain why certain states are more stable and why certain molecular configurations are more likely to be observed.

2. How does Einselection occur in molecules?

Einselection occurs in molecules when the system interacts with its environment, causing the system to become entangled with the environment. This leads to the selection of certain states and configurations as the most stable and likely to be observed.

3. What is the significance of Einselection in molecules?

Einselection is significant in molecules as it helps to explain the emergence of classical properties from the quantum world. It also plays a role in determining the stability and behavior of molecules, as well as the likelihood of certain configurations being observed.

4. Can Einselection be observed in real-world molecules?

Yes, Einselection has been observed in various experiments involving molecules, such as in the decay of radioactive atoms and the behavior of molecular magnets. It has also been used to explain the stability of certain molecular configurations in nature.

5. How does Einselection relate to other quantum phenomena?

Einselection is closely related to other quantum phenomena such as decoherence and entanglement. In fact, Einselection is a type of decoherence process that leads to the entanglement of a system with its environment. It also helps to bridge the gap between the quantum and classical worlds, as it explains how classical properties arise from the quantum behavior of molecules.