Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light

In summary, Einstein's 1911 paper "On the Influence of Gravity on the Propagation of Light" discusses how the velocity of light is affected by gravitational fields. However, it should be noted that his views in this paper have been corrected by his later work. The book "The Special and General Theory of Relativity" written by Einstein in 1920 provides more accurate information on the topic. The paper can be found in its original German version on Wikipedia, and a translation can be found in "The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Vol. 3: The Swiss Years: Writings, 1909-1911".
spidey
can anyone give me the webpage link of this paper by Einstein

Einstein, Albert, 1911, "On the Influence of Gravity on the Propagation of Light", Annalen der Physik, 35: 898–90

I heard that in this paper Einstein tells that velocity of light is changed by gravitational field...i want to read it...

Physics news on Phys.org
spidey said:
can anyone give me the webpage link of this paper by Einstein

Einstein, Albert, 1911, "On the Influence of Gravity on the Propagation of Light", Annalen der Physik, 35: 898–90

I heard that in this paper Einstein tells that velocity of light is changed by gravitational field...i want to read it...

You need to be careful, in 1911 Einstein was not done developing GR, the part that you are interested in was later corrected , so his views in the 1911 paper are no longer considered correct by today's standards.

Here is a book on both the Special and General Theories that Einstein wrote in 1920.

http://www.bartleby.com/173/

chapter 22 said:
In the second place our result shows that, according to the general theory of relativity, the law of the constancy of the velocity of light in vacuo, which constitutes one of the two fundamental assumptions in the special theory of relativity and to which we have already frequently referred, cannot claim any unlimited validity. A curvature of rays of light can only take place when the velocity of propagation of light varies with position. Now we might think that as a consequence of this, the special theory of relativity and with it the whole theory of relativity would be laid in the dust. But in reality this is not the case. We can only conclude that the special theory of relativity cannot claim an unlimited domain of validity; its result hold only so long as we are able to disregard the influences of gravitational fields on the phenomena (e.g. of light).

Thank you all...

Thanks this one is very useful to me

What is "Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light" about?

"On the Influence of Gravity on Light" is a scientific paper published by Albert Einstein in 1911. In this paper, Einstein proposed the theory of general relativity, which states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects.

What is the significance of "Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light"?

This paper is significant because it laid the foundation for Einstein's later work on general relativity, which is one of the most important theories in modern physics. It also helped to explain the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational pull of massive objects.

How did "Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light" contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity, which was outlined in this paper, revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It provided a new way of thinking about the nature of space and time, and it has been confirmed by countless experiments and observations.

What evidence supports the claims made in "Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light"?

There is a vast amount of evidence that supports Einstein's theory of general relativity, including the bending of starlight by the sun, the orbit of Mercury, and the observation of gravitational waves. These pieces of evidence all confirm that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of space and time.

How has "Albert Einstein 1911 "On the Influence of Gravity on Light" impacted modern physics?

Einstein's work on general relativity, including this paper, has had a profound impact on modern physics. It has led to a better understanding of the universe and its properties, and it has also paved the way for other important theories and discoveries in physics, such as quantum mechanics and the Big Bang theory.