1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein A & B Coefficients

1. Jun 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 17.23.13.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Very confused by this problem. For one thing, it doesn't specify if there is or isn't any light present to drive the stimulated emission/absorbtion. I guess there's no reason to assume that there is no light - but since the question is asking about lifetimes, that would seem more sensible...[plus introducing an unspecified ##\rho(\omega_{0})## seems odd]

Assuming there is no light involved, then this is just a three level system, with three sets of coupled differential equations describing the behaviour - let ##N_{i}## be the number of atoms in state ##i##:
    (1) $$ \frac{dN_{A}}{dt} = -(A_{ac}+A_{ab})N_{A} $$
    (2) $$ \frac{dN_{B}}{dt} = A_{ab}(N_{A} -N_{B}) $$
    (3) $$ \frac{dN_{C}}{dt} = A_{ac}N_{A}+A_{bc}N_{B} $$
    [Though,one of them is made redundant by the fact that total particle number must be constant.]

We can easily solve the first equation:
    $$ N_{A} = N_{A0}exp\bigg[ - (A_{ac}+A_{ab})t) \bigg] $$
    By substituting this into the equation (2), we can then solve for ##N_{B}##:

$$ \frac{dN_{B}}{dt} +N_{B}A_{ab} = A_{ab}N_{A0}exp\bigg[ - (A_{ac}+A_{ab})t) \bigg] $$

So by using the standard method of integrating factors:
    $$ N_{B} = Cexp(-A_{ab}t)-\frac{A_{ab}}{A_{ac}}N_{A0}exp(-A_{ac}+A_{ab}t) $$
    But how am I meant to define a lifetime for that?, Assuming ##N_{B}(t=0)=0##, i.e:
    $$ N_{B} =\frac{A_{ab}}{A_{ac}}N_{A0}exp(-A_{ab}t)\bigg[1-exp(-A_{ac}t)\bigg]$$
    Do we take the dominant exponential to define the lifetime?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are only told to consider the decays a-c and b-c.
    The presence of photons is not relevant to the lifetime calculation for a state ... check the definition of "lifetime" in your notes.

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3
    Ah,okay, so lifetimes are generally defined to only involve the Einstein ##A## coefficients.
    So I can just ignore completely ##\psi_{A} \rightarrow \psi_{B}##? I wasn't sure the question implied that.... I guess if it does:

$$ \frac{dN_{A}}{dt} = -A_{ac}N_{A} $$
    $$ \frac{dN_{B}}{dt} = -A_{bc} N_{B} $$

Implying that ## \lambda_{a} = A_{ac}## ##\lambda_{b} = A_{bc}##. We know that ## \frac{1}{\tau} = \lambda## where ##\tau ## is the lifetime, so:
    $$ \frac{\tau_{A}}{\tau_{C}} = 2 $$

and then the information about the matrix element is completely redundant? It's that simple??
    [Edit : I mean, it tells us the same thing]
    Thanks!

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done.

6. Jun 6, 2016 #5
    Oh dear, that's embarrassing.. Ah well, many thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted