Einstein and Bergman - Work in WW-II

In summary, during World War II, Einstein played a key role in the founding of the National Defense Research Committee and its project on electronic discrimination of acoustic signals, likely for submarine detection. He did not directly work on this project, but his colleague Peter Bergmann, a physicist who had previously worked with Einstein, was involved in war research on underwater sound at Columbia University and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Bergmann later taught at various universities and received the 2003 Einstein Prize from the American Physical Society. This information can be found online, including an article from the New York Times, and a paper on underwater sonic ray tracing by Einstein Medical Center in Pennsylvania.
pmb
A friend of mine asked me this question
Did Einstein, as well as Bergmann, consult on underwater sound during WW II?
Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein was instrumental in the founding of the National Defense Research Committee (NDRC). One of its first big projects was electronic discrimination of accoustic signals - probably for submarine detection. I don't recall Einstein doing any of the work though.

Who is Bergmann?

Njorl

"From 1941-1944, Professor Bergmann taught at Black Mountain College and at Lehigh University. From 1944-1947, he was engaged in war research on underwater sound at Columbia University and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution"

Nuts! I lost the site I cut this from.

Oh well, it's out there somewhere.

Njorl

Some more:

APS: 2003 Einstein Prize to Peter G. Bergmann Syracuse University (retired) --->
http://www.aps.org/praw/einstein/03winner1.html

-----------
a result of searching:

Einstein, PA. 1975. Underwater sonic ray tracing in three dimensions. Journal of sound and vibration. 42 (4) pp503-508

Albert Einstein Medical Center
5501 Old York Rd
Philadelphia PA 19141

Just a coincidence?

1. Who is Einstein and Bergman?

Einstein and Bergman are two prominent figures in history. Albert Einstein was a renowned physicist who developed the theory of relativity and is considered one of the greatest scientists of all time. Stefan Bergman was an Austrian mathematician known for his work in complex analysis and partial differential equations.

2. What was their involvement in WW-II?

Einstein and Bergman were both Jewish and had to flee Germany due to the rise of the Nazi party. They both emigrated to the United States and worked on various projects during WW-II. Einstein worked on the Manhattan Project, which developed the atomic bomb, while Bergman worked on radar technology for the US Army.

3. Did Einstein and Bergman work together during WW-II?

No, Einstein and Bergman did not work together during WW-II. They both worked on separate projects and did not collaborate during this time.

4. Did their work in WW-II have a significant impact on the war?

Yes, their work had a significant impact on the war. Einstein's work on the Manhattan Project led to the development of the atomic bomb, which ultimately helped end the war. Bergman's work on radar technology also played a crucial role in detecting and intercepting enemy aircraft.

5. What happened to Einstein and Bergman after WW-II?

After WW-II, Einstein continued his work as a physicist and became an advocate for world peace. Bergman returned to Europe and resumed his work in mathematics. They both continued to make significant contributions to their respective fields until their deaths.