1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein and Lorentz

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    I am hoping someone can help me with something. I want to go into the field of temporal physics and I was wondering if someone could help me understand why Einstein's E=mc2 isn't combined with Lorentz's factor ϒ=1/√1-(v2/c2) to further prove the light-speed barrier?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Both of these relationships are derived from the same underlying assumptions (the two postulates of special relativity - Google for "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies" to find Einstein's 1905 paper on SR) as the light-speed limit. Thus, using them to "further prove" the lightspeed limit doesn't tell us anything new; it just shows that the assumptions that lead to the light-speed limit lead to the light-speed limit.

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Also the relation [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] is already given at a certain Reference fram (the rest frame of the object of mass [itex]m[/itex] ). So how would you put a gamma factor?

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4
    T
    Thank you for the reference, Nugatory. Also, could you recomend any books or sights that are credited and discus the possibility of Tachyons?

6. Jan 6, 2015 #5
    Jorlack, you are right. One way of writing the energy equation is
    ##E=\gamma m c^2##
    The common equation ##E=mc^2## is only valid for particles at rest, when ##\gamma = 1##.

7. Jan 7, 2015 #6
    ##\gamma = 1## when the velocity of the said object or particle is 0. Therefore the Lorentz factor would equal ##1/1## or simply, 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook