Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein and time travel

1. May 24, 2004 #1
    Hello friends,
    Einstein proved that if an object travels in a vacuum nearly at the speed of light, the result will be that the object will be transfered in to future. One of my proffesors said that if a rocket travels round the earth in space, with the speed of light for 1 year, then already a decade would have been passed on Earth. Is this TRUE, please justify.
    with regards,
    Razi

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Neither of those statemenst is true in the way "time travel" is normally understood.
    The first is true in the sense that we are all "travelling" into the future (at the rate of one second per second!) all the time and that can be "accelerated". If you travels with a speed, relative to the earth, of approximately 99.5% the speed of light then you experience time changing at only one hour for 10 hours on the earth. After one year of travel, 10 years would have passed on earth. That is not exactly what I would call "time travel" or being "transferred into the future".

That is straight line motion. It is not at all clear (to me!) what would happen if you spent a year traveling in a circle at 99.5% the speed of light. Surely you professor did not actually say "at the speed of light"- that is impossible.

4. May 24, 2004 #3
    -----------

sorry, i remember that my proffesor said that if we travel nearly the speed of light. I just forgot to write the nearly in between.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?