Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein: Creationist or Poet?

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    This guy is starting to get on my nerves. I should have guess that he was a creationist by the way he posts. He makes obviously wrong claims and gives no evidence for them. Not only does he give no evidence he does the creationist "Ignore all evidence to the opposite of what I am trying to say" trick.

This is an arguement that doesn't have to do with that, but that first paragraph is just some history. In multiple threads on SFN, he posted this:
    I say it is just an extended metaphor with personification. He doesn't give any evidence to the contrary, yet does his creationist crap and ignores when I disect the quote in a purely literary manner.

So here is the question: "Was Albert Einstein a creationist or did he like literary devices?"

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    Einstein, like Stephen Hawking, is best described as a Natrualistic Pantheist

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
    -Einstein, March 24, 1954

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3
    Thank you. Nicholas will be receiving a PM with that quote.

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4
    The full quote is:

"I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I have no possibility to bring the money you sent me to the appropriate receiver. I return it therefore in recognition of your good heart and intention. Your letter shows me also that wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it. "

it was written, in english, in a letter to an italian-american self-made atheist who had sent him a handwritten letter 2 days earlier that was incredibly in-depth, discussing politics, religion, science, Einstein's career and his own background.

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pogo, do you realize it's poor etiquette to quote someone from one forum on another when they can't be present to debate or dispute your claims?

If someone is arguing in favor of creationism, be sure your own understanding of evolutionary theory is strong before attempting to debate with them, otherwise you are likely to only add to their misconceptions about evolution by poorly explaining it.

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6
    the post wasn't about him. the part that talked about him was just a setting for my question.

8. Jul 11, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

but you quoted him specifically.

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8
    read the quote and then the question and you will see that they are VERY closely related. it has nothing to do with the person who posted it. most of that post was a setting.
    is the important part. the question makes much more sense if you have the rest of the post, though.

10. Jul 11, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could have stated the question in your original post just as effectively without
    1) referencing a specific member
    2) slamming creationists in the derogatory terms that you chose

11. Jul 12, 2005 #10
    1)i referenced him because he is what caused the question
    2)i didn't slam creationists, i "slammed" their poor tactics

12. Jul 12, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You guys should see this evolution "vs" creationism thread in this other forum. Experts in both fields would be appauled at what people are saying. A third theory must be made that is so complex and so intense and so mindboggling that simple minded people wont even dare try to argue it (incorrectly)!

13. Jul 12, 2005 #12
    there is no evolution v. creation because they are not mutually exclusive. it gets hype because ignorant people think they are.

14. Jul 12, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, thats why i put "vs". Its so dumb. "You see, the RNA evolves into the metopatania and over thousands upon trillions of quazilion centuries, the DNA adds levi jeans which means God doesnt exist!"

15. Jul 12, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

generalizing

generalizing and slamming

So you are suggesting all creationists use these tactics? How could you know?

16. Jul 12, 2005 #15
    when i say "creationist" i mean the vast majority(which said person is a member of) that possess the qualities of the creationist steiotype. no where in that post did i attack the people. i only attacked their tactics. you are inferring things from my post that they didn't imply.

if you want to see a slam, here it is: "all creationists are evil. everything they say is a lie." how does that suit you. this thread is way off topic, so drop it.

17. Jul 12, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Whoa whoa... anyway to confirm that? You might want to change the statement to something along the lines of "The majority of creationists i speak to..."

18. Jul 12, 2005 #17
    look at any creationist resource, go to any church, talk to people online...you will see that they are the majority.

19. Jul 12, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hell if i based my idea of "majority" off of what i see online, might as well think the majority of people think aliens are real and the government is abducting people and 9/11 waws fake. I ahve also never been into a church or church function where anyone was actually debating anything at all. I also never debate about such things with people online because no one really cares to argue about it. Are you just going around picking fights with people :-p

20. Jul 12, 2005 #19
    ok, that's edging on a strawman.

21. Jul 12, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

huh? whats a strawman. Whats with this fancy lingo im hearing today that i dont even understand!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?