Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein Cross vs. Ring

1. May 8, 2007 #1

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Einstein cross (G2237+030) shows 4 reasonably symmetrically spaced images of the very distant quasar, indicating that our alignment with the galactic nucleus to quasar line is fairly good.

How is that it does not show an Einstein ring instead of the cross?

Grav-lens-Einstein_Cross.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that a ring occurs only for perfect alignment.

A sperical point lens for which the alignment is almost (but not quite) perfect produces two images. Hartle has a nice treatment of the images shapes in this case.

If the lens is a not a point (very small) sphere, e.g., an extended ellipsoidal object, more than two images can be produced.

4. May 9, 2007 #3

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks George!

5. May 15, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Ditto George, but I add a link to The World's Greatest GTR Simulation!http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/lenses/lenses.html
    Here you can play with your heart's content, producing Einstein rings, Einstein crosses, arcs, and so on, by moving around the background object being lensed, wrt the foreground galaxy.

At the site mentioned in my sig you can find other simulations which I have some reason to think are not entirely incorrect. Caution is advised in all other cases!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?