How can I successfully recreate the Einstein - de Hass Effect experiment?

• Thread starter DFingles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: I don't think this experiment is that well known. It was discovered in the early 1900s, but it didn't really get popular until the 1970s.
DFingles
How do I replicate the Einstein - de Hass Effect experiment? I know the basic premise: hang a slender iron rod inside a ring magnet and it should spin as the electrons all line up, to conserve angular momentum. Are there any websites detailing how to conduct/build/recreate this experiment? I've tried several times to find any and got zilch each time. So I moved on to experimenting. I've tried several ways, including using fishing line (can't make it taut enough to not shift to one side as the line stretches); swivels soldered to the ends of a rod and connected to hooks while the magnet sits on a wooden base (the tension breaks the solder, even JB Weld won't hold, and it's really tough to get an absolutely straight connection across a weld). I've also tried iron magnets and rare Earth magnets (use gloves when handling these--there's a safety lesson in there somewhere). Now I'm going to try fixing the rod inside bearings at either end to hold it rigid. The bearings are fixed to a structure and the magnets will sit on a wooden beam midpoint along the rod. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of this before...strange. I know of the de Haas-van Alphen Effect, and the Shubnikov-de Haas oscillation, but not this one. Looks like de Haas has immortalized himself through great collaborative work.

Anyway, I found a kit (for sale) that reproduces this experiment. The kit is made by the Physics Demo group at the University of New Mexico. You can either try and speak to someone there, or simply buy the kit to see how it's built.

http://www.unm.edu/~physics/demo/html_demo_pages/5H5010.html

Can't do better than this right now, but someone is sure to come along with better advice.

Thanks for the info. It seems amazing that for someone as famous as Einstein (and De Haas) that this chapter has gone pretty much unrecognized. Maybe it's just not important (unless you're trying to duplicate it).

The experiment is not unrecognized or unimportant. The magnetomechanic ratio tells us about the orbital moment of the electrons involved in magnetism. Now there are also other ways of measuring this, but these methods require more theory and are less direct.

X-ray magnetic dichroism gives reasonable agreement with Einstein-de Haas data:
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v75/i1/p152_1

Pieter; Unless you're a physicist, I beg to differ. I've tried numerous searches through Google, Gallileo (Ga University Library System), local library, etc. All I got for my trouble was a quizzical look (most of the time), some Japanese briefings, a description of properties for magneto-optical drive calibration, and only through this site an actual picture of a duplicate of the experiment. Even the Einstein archives doesn't have it in English (unless you're willing to fork over a membership fee, maybe-I wasn't able to convince my wife that was a necessary expense to find out).

1. What is the Einstein-de Haas Effect?

The Einstein-de Haas effect is a phenomenon in physics that describes the relationship between angular momentum and magnetization in a system. It was first proposed by Albert Einstein and Wander Johannes de Haas in 1915.

2. How does the Einstein-de Haas Effect work?

The Einstein-de Haas effect occurs when a change in the magnetic moment of a system results in a corresponding change in its angular momentum, or vice versa. This means that when an external magnetic field is applied to a spinning object, it will begin to rotate, and when the rotation of the object is stopped, its magnetic moment will change.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Einstein-de Haas Effect?

The Einstein-de Haas effect has been used in the development of modern magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives. It has also been applied in the study of magnetic materials and the behavior of electrons in magnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of the Einstein-de Haas Effect in understanding the nature of matter?

The Einstein-de Haas effect played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, as it demonstrated the connection between the macroscopic properties of a system (such as angular momentum and magnetization) and the microscopic behavior of its individual particles. This helped scientists to better understand the nature of matter and its behavior on a subatomic level.

5. Can the Einstein-de Haas Effect be observed in everyday life?

The Einstein-de Haas effect is typically observed in controlled laboratory experiments, and its effects are not usually noticeable in everyday life. However, its principles are utilized in technologies that we use daily, such as computers and smartphones, making it an integral part of modern life.