Einstein-De Hass Effect: Explained and Explored | Research Project Guide

• Thread starter hershal
  • Start date
In summary, the cylinder did not rotate as a result of the electric current being passed through the coil.
hershal
:confused: I have a research project to be done and I want to know what is Einstein-De Hass Effect. It is magneto-mechanical effect, something happens on suspending iron rod in a ring magnet but i don't have any further information on it . If I can get some links which explains what is Einstien-De Hass Effect. I searched on google, but got no good results :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, it is the Einstein de Haas-effect

If you have a ferromagnet (that is a material in which neigboring atoms tell their closest neigbors to align their spins in the same direction) and you apply an external B field to align the spins, they will add up to produce a change in angular momentum (you know : J = L+S where S is the spin and L is the angular momentum, J is the TOTAL angular momentum), manifested by the rotation of the magnet.

Here is how it goes :

S changes due to the transition from paramagnetic to ferromagnetic (all spins align). But J must remain constant and therefore L must change and this means that the specimen will rotate. You can actually observe this rotation.

The experiment is conducted by hanging some ferromagnetic specimen (that is initially in its paramagnetic state, if you will) on a small string and then applying the external magnetic field B.

regards
marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:

Aka the Einstein - Hare effect ? :smile:

Thanks !

marlon said:

If you have a ferromagnet (that is a material in which neigboring atoms tell their closest neigbors to align their spins in the same direction) and you apply an external B field to align the spins, they will add up to produce a change in angular momentum (you know : J = L+S where S is the spin and L is the angular momentum, J is the TOTAL angular momentum), manifested by the rotation of the magnet.

regards
marlon

Thanks Marlon, If you are aware of any site that offers information about einstiein - de Hass effect or u know any other a-z physics site could you please pass me the URL :rolleyes:

Home Experiment

Today, I took a transparent light weight plastic hollow cylinder ( about 3.5 cm in diameter and 15 cm in length and may be 0.5 mm thick) . Tightly coiled a wire ( simple electric wire ) around it . No. of turns are 50 . Suspend an iron rod in between ( so that it does not touch the edges of the cylinder ) with the help of a thinnest thread available at home. Iron rod is about 15.5 cm in length and 0.4 cm in diameter , quiet heavy too, with flat edges , actually its a screw driver without the plastic handle. Passed current through the coil ( 4.5 V ) ... no effect :frown::confused:

Last edited:

1. What is the Einstein-De Hass Effect?

The Einstein-De Hass Effect, also known as the spin-rotation or spin-mechanical coupling effect, is a phenomenon observed in ferromagnets where the magnetization of the material changes as a result of its rotation.

2. How does the Einstein-De Hass Effect work?

The Einstein-De Hass Effect is based on the interaction between the spin of electrons and the rotation of the material. When the material is rotated, the spin of the electrons is affected, causing a change in the magnetization of the material.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein-De Hass Effect?

The Einstein-De Hass Effect is significant because it provides a way to manipulate the magnetic properties of a material using mechanical means. This has potential applications in the development of spintronic devices and in understanding the relationship between spin and motion in materials.

4. How was the Einstein-De Hass Effect discovered?

The Einstein-De Hass Effect was first observed by Albert Einstein and Wander Johannes de Haas in the 1920s. They conducted experiments where they rotated a ferromagnet and measured its magnetization, leading to the discovery of this effect.

5. What current research is being done on the Einstein-De Hass Effect?

Current research on the Einstein-De Hass Effect is focused on understanding the underlying mechanisms and exploring potential applications. This includes investigating the effect in different types of materials, such as antiferromagnets and topological insulators, and studying its potential use in spintronics and quantum computing.