1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein Equation

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1
    I have a 3d system with Lagrangian [tex]e_3^{-1} L_3 = -\frac{1}{2} R_3 + \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{2H} V(q)[/tex]

From this I want to calculate the Einstein equation by performing the Euler-Lagrange procedure. First of all, I move the 3d dreibein to the RHS and then I apply the E-L eqns. Using that [tex] \frac{\partial e_3}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} = \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu}[/tex], I see that

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} (e_3 R_3) = e_3 R_{\mu \nu} + \frac{1}{2} e_3 R[/tex]

Now, I don't want a Ricci scalar in the answer and I am unsure how to get rid of it. I tried looking at the trace of the Einstein equation [tex] R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = T_{\mu \nu} \Rightarrow R-\frac{3}{2} R = T \Rightarrow -\frac{1}{2} R =T [/tex] and so if I can work out [tex]T[/tex] then I can avoid a Ricci scalar being in the answer but I don't know how to calculate T let alone its trace.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2
    Yeah that's what I did and I'm fairly sure the technique is correct and I just cannot see the mistake that's giving me the wrong number. The Einstein eqn should be [tex]-\frac{1}{2} R_{\mu \nu} + \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)=0[/tex]

Now when I vary with respect to [tex]g^{\mu \nu}[/tex] I get [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} = - \frac{1}{2} e_3R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{4} e_3 R_3 + e_3 \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{4H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \partial_\lambda g^{\mu \nu}}=0[/tex].

The E-L eqn is [tex] - \frac{1}{2} e_3R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{4} e_3 R_3 + e_3 \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{4H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)=0[/tex]

Then I take the trace of the resulting E-L eqn to see [tex]-\frac{5}{4} e_3 R_3 + \frac{5}{2} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{3}{4H} e_3 V(q)=0[/tex] Rearranging we find [tex] -\frac{1}{4} e_3 g_{\mu \nu}R_3 = -\frac{1}{2} e_3 \delta_{ab} g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b -\frac{3}{20H} e_{3} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)[/tex] If I substitute this into the original E-L eqn to try and get rid of the [tex]-\frac{1}{4} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} R[/tex] term, all the unwanted terms cancel but I have the wrong factor in front of the potential term. Any ideas? Thanks.

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This can't be right, the indices do not match.

Have you answered your question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted