Why Is the Einstein-Hilbert Action Formulated with L Proportional to R?

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
It also leads to the correct equations of motion for the Einstein-Hilbert action. This is known as the Principle of Least Action, where the action is minimized to obtain the equations of motion. Additionally, it has been shown that other choices for L, such as L \propto R^2 or L \propto R_{\mu\nu}R^{\mu\nu}, do not lead to a consistent theory of gravity. In summary, choosing L \propto R is the most straightforward and mathematically consistent choice for the Lagrangian in the Einstein-Hilbert action.
latentcorpse
My notes read:

For the gravitational field, we seek an action of the form
[itex]S[g]= \int_M d^4x \sqrt{-g} L[/itex]
where [itex]L[/itex] is a scalar constructed from the metric. An obvious choice for the Lagrangian is [itex]L \propto R[/itex]. This gives the Einstein-Hilbert action
[itex]S_{EH}[g]=\frac{1}{16 \pi} \int_M d^4x \sqrt{-g} R[/itex]

Why is it an obvious choice to pick [itex]L \propto R[/itex]. This is definitely NOT obvious to me!Secondly, if you look at teh notes attached in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=457123
On page 107,
where does equation (352) come from? Why is [itex]\Delta^{\mu \nu}=gg^{\mu \nu}[/itex]?
And given eqn (353), how do we get (354)? Did we just det [itex]g \rightarrow -g[/itex]? Where did the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] come from?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I address the last part of your post first.

1. The formula [itex] \Delta^{\mu\nu} = g\cdot g^{\mu\nu} [/itex] is just a fancy notation one uses to describe a thing you should definitely have learned in HS: How one computes the inverse of a square (in GR 4by4) matrix. The element [itex] \mu\nu [/itex] of the inverse is equal to the ratio between the determinant of the cofactor matrix for the element [itex] \mu\nu [/itex] and the determinant of the matrix you wish to find its inverse.

2. The g is indeed set to -g, because of the convention that the metric has a negative determinant (the free field limit of g is the Minkowski metric which has the determinant of "-1").

3. The 1/2 comes from differentiating the sqrt of the determinant of g by the elementary rules of differentiation.

4. There's a thread in PF linked to in one of my blog articles in which Samalkhaiat gives an excellent explanation as to why [itex] \mathcal{L} = R [/itex] for GR. Read that first and then I can send you a PM with more literature on the various attempts to derive the HE action.

bigubau said:
I address the last part of your post first.

1. The formula [itex] \Delta^{\mu\nu} = g\cdot g^{\mu\nu} [/itex] is just a fancy notation one uses to describe a thing you should definitely have learned in HS: How one computes the inverse of a square (in GR 4by4) matrix. The element [itex] \mu\nu [/itex] of the inverse is equal to the ratio between the determinant of the cofactor matrix for the element [itex] \mu\nu [/itex] and the determinant of the matrix you wish to find its inverse.

2. The g is indeed set to -g, because of the convention that the metric has a negative determinant (the free field limit of g is the Minkowski metric which has the determinant of "-1").

3. The 1/2 comes from differentiating the sqrt of the determinant of g by the elementary rules of differentiation.

4. There's a thread in PF linked to in one of my blog articles in which Samalkhaiat gives an excellent explanation as to why [itex] \mathcal{L} = R [/itex] for GR. Read that first and then I can send you a PM with more literature on the various attempts to derive the HE action.

Thanks. Still struggling with the 1/2 factor though!

Using (353),

[itex]\delta \sqrt{-g} = \frac{\partial \sqrt{-g}}{\partial g_{\mu \nu}} \delta g_{\mu \nu}[/itex]
But if I differentiate that I get a 1/2 but I also get a [itex]-(-g)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] and I just get massively confused.
Initially my attempt had just been to change all the [itex]g[/itex]'s to [itex]\sqrt{-g}[/itex]'s in (353) but then I was missing the 1/2.

You can't blindly change that, because [itex] |g|=\sqrt{|g|}\cdot\sqrt{|g|} [/itex].

bigubau said:
You can't blindly change that, because [itex] |g|=\sqrt{|g|}\cdot\sqrt{|g|} [/itex].

Ok. Then I really don't get where the 1/2 is from then...

Well, the notes and my reply above point you in the right direction:

[tex] \frac{\partial \sqrt{-g}}{\partial g_{\mu \nu}} = \frac{\partial \left(-g\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{\partial g_{\mu \nu}} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\left(-g\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}} \frac{\partial \left(-g\right)}{\partial g_{\mu\nu}} = ... [/tex]

latentcorpse said:
Why is it an obvious choice to pick [itex]L \propto R[/itex]. This is definitely NOT obvious to me!
Because it is the simplest choice for scalar constructed from [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma^\mu_{\nu\lambda}[/itex].

1. What is the Einstein-Hilbert Action?

The Einstein-Hilbert Action is a mathematical expression used in the theory of general relativity. It is a way to describe the behavior of gravity on a large scale and is based on the principle of least action.

2. Who developed the Einstein-Hilbert Action?

The Einstein-Hilbert Action was developed by Albert Einstein and David Hilbert in 1915 as a way to unify the laws of gravity and motion.

3. How does the Einstein-Hilbert Action relate to general relativity?

The Einstein-Hilbert Action is the mathematical foundation of general relativity. It describes how matter and energy warp the fabric of spacetime, causing objects to move and interact with each other.

4. What is the significance of the Einstein-Hilbert Action in physics?

The Einstein-Hilbert Action is a fundamental concept in modern physics and has been used to make predictions and explain phenomena such as the bending of light by gravity and the existence of black holes.

5. Is the Einstein-Hilbert Action still relevant today?

Yes, the Einstein-Hilbert Action is still widely used in modern physics and has been successfully tested and confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It remains an important tool for understanding the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe.