Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein papers online

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3
    Really neat to look through! Need some translations though :)

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

My neighbors and I recently discussed "Big Data" and the difficulty indexing it. Precisely the volume of Einstein's papers was mentioned. I struggle with Martin Luther's 15,000 pages of writings, and sermons. Browsing is not particularly useful in big-data.

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

15,000 pages is a daunting amount of data when it's dumped in from of you, but it's not "big data" in the modern sense. 15,000 pages at a few hundreds of words per page and maybe ten characters per word, you're talking tens of megabytes. A random American grocery store generates and warehouses that much data every hour or so.

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Thank you. My contribution to the Big Data conversation was the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid analyzing 25 PB a^-1. Also a recent gift of a 1 TB HDD of DRM free music that is almost unusable for lack of an index.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook