Einstein quote? "That would be double counting."

In summary, the conversation revolved around a quote by Einstein related to a serious matter of physics. The quote, which is commonly attributed to Einstein, is "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." However, this is not the quote in question. The actual quote discusses the concept of gravitationally-produced curvature and the idea of "double counting". The conversation also mentions that the speaker attempted multiple Google searches before asking for clarification.
MrBlank
I vaguely remember reading a quote by Einstein related to a physics matter where he said something like "That would be double counting" (i.e. Don't do it). Does this sound familiar to anyone? What was he talking about?

Note that this was not a wimsical quote. He was talking about a serious matter of physics.

I am aware of the (alledged) Einstein quote "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." This is definitely not what I am talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found something. It looks like that is not an exact quote. Einstein was saying that gravitationally-produced curvature would be "double counting." (http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw100.html)

Note that I tried a number of different google searches before I started the thread.

1. What does the quote "That would be double counting" by Einstein mean?

The quote means that counting something twice would result in an incorrect total or would be unnecessary.

2. In what context did Einstein say the quote "That would be double counting"?

Einstein used the quote in a discussion about the concept of double counting in mathematics and physics.

3. Can the quote "That would be double counting" be applied to other fields besides science?

Yes, the quote can be applied to any situation where counting something twice would be redundant or lead to an incorrect result.

4. How does the quote "That would be double counting" relate to Einstein's other theories and ideas?

The quote reflects Einstein's belief in simplicity and efficiency in problem-solving and his emphasis on avoiding unnecessary steps or calculations.

5. What can we learn from the quote "That would be double counting" in our daily lives?

We can learn to be mindful of our actions and avoid repeating unnecessary tasks or steps, ultimately leading to more efficient and accurate results.