Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein smoked pot?

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    A friend of mine recently put my attention to this streaming video advertisement for an entheogenesis conference on Pot-TV: http://pot.tv/archive/shows/pottvshowse-3398.html

In it there is a reference to a prof. Francis Thackeray from South Africa (and a prof. Vandemir[?]; not sure if I made that out correctly) who supposedly has found cannabis-residue in chemical analysis of Einsteins pipes. Couldn't find anything about this on Google so I'm assuming it's BS, especially since Pot-TV doesn't seem like a very credible source of information. Anyone else heard anything about this supposed find?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2

Gold Member

I heard he smoked tobacco brand called 'Revelation'

but even if he did, it wont surprise me much
  4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
  5. Apr 11, 2005 #4
    Einstein definately enjoyed the occasional sess crop.
  6. Apr 12, 2005 #5

need i say more?
  7. Apr 18, 2005 #6
    EVERYONE smoked/smokes marijuana- unless they are Alabama bible thumpers- then they just grow it-
  8. Apr 18, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Not true at all, you'll find.
  9. Apr 18, 2005 #8
    I have to agree with Mathyaouw. Not everyone smokes pot. I really don't think of those sites are really credible. Gza, that picture is pretty funny, but I don't think that is evidence that he smoked pot. He was much to busy unraveling the mysteries of how the universe works to smoke pot. He couldn't screw in a light bulb or figure out how to solve 2+2. Rune, I think your friend was just trying to get a rise out of you.
  10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    And why not - is it any concern of ours what someone else does or did.

Other greats also enjoyed the "forbidden". It is a well known documented fact Hector Berlioz apparantly was under the influence of opium while composing "Symphony Fantastique" and listening to it I very well can believe it as no sober man can compose that brilliantly.

Sometimes the mind should be set free, most of us do it daily with the legal habit forming drugs alchohol and tobako and nobody thinks twice about that, and if those two are not enough then valium and other "so called legal" drugs are used.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  11. Apr 19, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i absolutely agree, however, misskitty, it's surprising how many people use this substance. people you wouldn't even think of to be honest...because of the "pothead" stigma, many are just quiet about it.

if this silly little rumor were true, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
  12. Apr 19, 2005 #11
    What difference does it make either way??
  13. Apr 19, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

if it were ever proven true, it could mean that many would lose a great deal of respect for him, and using it against him in trying to disprove his theories and work. it's good to know that you don't seem to think it matters. besides, this is the content of the thread, we are discussing this very matter.
  14. Apr 19, 2005 #13
    This is very true. Sometimes it surprises me how much we agree on. :smile:
  15. Apr 19, 2005 #14
    Agreed. That would be aweful. Especially considering how much physics rests on his work. Can you imagine the reaction of the scientific community? There is probably a great number of people who would jump at the chance to discredit Einstein. Although it wouldn't surprise me either if he had smoked some marijuana.
  16. Apr 19, 2005 #15

While this may hold true, I think it's a sad testament to the society's fascination with notariety and our lack of respect for privacy. People advocate privacy all the time, but when it's a public figure, a double standard comes to light. Wether or not he smoked pot is irrelavent. That doesn't change the work he's done. It may change people's view on the man, but the work speaks for itsself. It's the same as with Clinton and the lewinsky scandal. Everyone wanted to forget the fact that he was doing an excellent job as president, and focus on his personal life. which didn't change the work that he'd done as president. People never remember the billion things you did right, just the one thing you did wrong.
  17. Apr 19, 2005 #16
    Perhaps I should elaborate what I meant by "What difference does it make either way??".

1. He made his accomplishments. If he smoked pot every day I still don't see how it matters. His accomplishments stand separate from what anyone thinks of him personally.

2. Someone might "...[use] it against him to disprove his theories and work"? How? The only arbiter there is experiment. Anyone dumb enough to say his theories, proven by countless experiments, are irrelevant because he smoked pot is a moron not worth paying any attention to. If anything it could be used to show that smoking pot does not necessarily prevent you from making important contributions.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  18. Apr 19, 2005 #17
    As it happens... He happened to die the same year that Hemp farming became illegal.

Perhaps not having it to smoke lead to his death and the world has lost out on much of his unfinished work. :cry:
  19. Apr 19, 2005 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

very true zanta, very true.
  20. Apr 19, 2005 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i agree wholeheartedly with #1. i should clarify that judgement passed of Einstein could cloud those who question him because of their own ignorance. and i completely agree with your last sentence.

you would be amazed at the ignorance of highly educated people-for example: the other day i spoke about how my 5 year old son wanted me to read him "Through the looking glass" to a person whom i have a great deal of respect for and this person holds a college degree and has traveled all over the world. this person gave me a funny look and replied, "talk about LSD!". me being the one with less general education set them straight by telling them that the "Alice" books were written by a mathematican/philosopher and the books are actually a british satire, not to mention LSD wasn't even invented at that time.

long story short, when people get a stigma set in their minds, it can be contagious, thus causing widespread ignorance.
  21. Apr 19, 2005 #20
    That doesn't alter the fact that his theories can only be overthrown by experiment. If some ignorant lay person decides Einstein is 'wrong' or whatever because he smoked pot, again, what difference does it make? Few people understand what he said anyway.

Now I don't suppose anyone should be spreading this rumor, at least not without proof it's true. But still, I don't think it matters. As someone mentioned, Carl Sagan admitted to smoking pot his whole life. I don't see anyone saying his work is compromised therefore.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?