Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein solid?

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Does anyone know of a real system for which a collection of (weakly coupled) identical oscillators is a better model than it is for a solid?

Diatomic gas molcules are a possibility, but I'm really looking for a system of distinguishable oscillators, which no doubt dictates oscillators at (roughly) fixed sites.

It would also be good if the oscillator frequency were dependent in some clear way on a macroscopic variable such as strain or a field strength. This is probably too much to expect!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Doesn't the Einstein model describe well a solid formed of diatomic molecules, at least as far as the internal vibrations of the molecule ("optical modes") are concerned?
  4. Jun 2, 2010 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Thanks for replying. You may well be right. How do you envisage that the diatomic molecules are held together to make the solid? Do you have a particular solid in mind? I need the oscillators to be quasi-independent from the lattice, as I'm looking for a practical near-realisation of a collection of monoperiodic oscillators, as an example for teaching purposes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook