1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein summation help on a proof

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    prove the identity $$\nabla\times(f\cdot\vec{v})=(\nabla f) \times \vec{v} + f \cdot \nabla \times \vec{v}$$

I can do the proof with normal vector calculus, but I am in a tensor intensive course and would like to do this with
    einstein summation notation, but am having some trouble since I am brand new to this.

my attempt

left side

[tex] \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} (\nabla f \cdot \vec{v})_{k}=\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j} f \vec{v}_{k} [/tex]

I didn't really know where to go from here so I moved onto the right side and expressed it in einstein notation

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} (\nabla f)_{j} v_{k} + f \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} v_{k} [/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} f v_{k} + f \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} v_{k} [/tex]

which I don't see how I can rearrange this to get what is on the left. I see how it could be twice what I have on the left, but that obviously is incorrect. Did I do something wrong in expressing these? Do I have to express the right side with different sets of indicees?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you go from the second last line to the last line?

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    I just realized I forgot an f in that line

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you include the f, haven't you answered your own question?

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    unless I am seeing this completely wrong, the left side (first line up above) and the right side (on the last line) is twice the left side when I add them together

I was thinking maybe I had to express the right side like this

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} (\nabla f)_{j} v_{k} + f \epsilon_{klm} \partial_{l} v_{m} [/tex]

and do the permutation identity for permutations differing by 2 indicees but I seem to be going nowhere with that

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Mar 12, 2013 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apply the product rule to

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j} (f v_{k})[/tex]

8. Mar 12, 2013 #7
    jeez thanks.... staring me in the face

9. Mar 12, 2013 #8
    Can anyone suggest a book that has a ton of examples using einstein summation? I feel behind most of my class in regards to the notation. It just takes me too long to do problems.

10. Mar 12, 2013 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a small tip: Don't use ##\cdot## for anything other than the dot product when you're doing these things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted