G_ab: Calculating a Corrected Value

• Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation G_ab = R_ab - 1/2 * R * g_ab and the use of g^(ab) * g_ab to obtain the Identity Matrix. However, it is noted that this term does not appear in the equation and that the left metric tensor should be contracted with the Ricci tensor, with different indices used to avoid repeating them more than twice.
Philosophaie
G_ab = R_ab - 1/2 * R * g_ab

and

R = g^(ab) * R_ab

then

G_ab = R_ab - 1/2 * R_ab * (g^(ab) * g_ab)
=1/2 * R_ab

for this abomination someone please correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. a and b are free indices on the right, so a and b have to be free indices on right, i.e., they cannot be repeated and summed over.

Use [itex]R = g^{cd} R_{cd}[/itex] instead of [itex]R = g^{ab} R_{ab}[/itex].

Also, what does [itex]g^{ab} g_{ab}[/itex] equal?

g^(ab) * g_ab = I, the Identity Matrix only if a square matrix and when dotted with R_ab gives you back R_ab.

Philosophaie said:
g^(ab) * g_ab = I

No.

It is true that

[tex]g^{ab} g_{bc} = \delta^a_c.[/tex]

Think about it some more.

Philosophaie said:
g^(ab) * g_ab = I, the Identity Matrix only if a square matrix and when dotted with R_ab gives you back R_ab.

That term doesn't appear in the equation. What you have is:

[tex]g^{cd} g_{ab}[/tex]

Where the left metric tensor is contracted with the Ricci tensor. Remember not to repeat indices more than twice. It messes up the summation convention. Use different letters like George Jones said.

Last edited:
If you use the equation:

G_ab = R_ab - 1/2 * R _cd

You will get all the elements of the Ricci Tensor in each cell. Is really what the equation is?

1. What is "G_ab" and how is it used in calculating a corrected value?

"G_ab" refers to the correction factor used in calculating a corrected value. It takes into account any systematic error or bias in the data and adjusts the value accordingly.

2. How is "G_ab" determined?

"G_ab" is typically determined through a calibration process, where known reference values are used to compare against the measured values. The difference between the two values is used to calculate the correction factor.

3. Can "G_ab" be negative?

Yes, "G_ab" can be both positive or negative, depending on the direction of the bias or systematic error in the data. A positive "G_ab" means there is a positive bias, while a negative "G_ab" means there is a negative bias.

4. How do you incorporate "G_ab" into the calculation for a corrected value?

To calculate the corrected value, you simply multiply the measured value by "G_ab" and add the result to the measured value. This accounts for the bias and gives a more accurate representation of the true value.

5. Is "G_ab" the only factor used in calculating a corrected value?

No, there may be other factors, such as "G_cd" or "G_ef", that are also included in the calculation. These factors may account for different sources of error or bias in the data.