Are Einstein and Minkowski's interpretations of special relativity different?

In summary, the book discusses the interpretations of relativity by William Lane Craig and Quentin Smith. Craig focuses on the metaphysical aspects of relativity while Smith focuses on the mathematical aspects. Lorentz is discussed in the context of his relationship to other scientists.
matheinste
Regarding the book Einstein, Relativity and Absolute Simultaneity edited by William Lane Craig and Quentin Smith. Routledge 2008.

Chapter 1- The metaphysics of special relativity: three views. William Lane Craig.

This deals with the Einsteinian interpretation, the Minkowskian interpretation and the Lorentzian interpretation, but, to me, is not very clear about the difference in the case of the first two. My question is, how are these two different apart from the second being more geometrical in its treatment? In other words is the author justified in calling them different interpretations of SR?

The editors are philosophy professors.

Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if we didn't have Minkowski, and only had Einstein 1905, we could still do SR fine. But we really needed Minkowski to go from SR to GR.

Edit: Maybe not - could we have gotten there from Deser, Feynman, Weinberg's ungeometrical approach to GR? (reviewed here by Straumann http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0006423). But in the end we still end up with flat spacetime being unobservable, so I'd say Minkowski's recognition of the metric was crucial for it becoming the gravitational field.

Last edited:
It was a bit like Galileo and Newton.
E and M present the same theory, but M made it fly.
Lorentz is like the Aristotle of Relativity-- yesterday's news.

matheinste said:
The editors are philosophy professors.
:rolleyes: Need anything more be said?

DaleSpam said:
:rolleyes: Need anything more be said?

I cannot think why I added that particular bit of information!

Matheinste.

Not wanting to stir things up but Physicists among the posters here may also be interested in a quote from the same book. When talking about A and B theories of time ---

---- The problem here is, in a sense, the reverse of the first problem we mentioned above, namely, the physicists’ lack of awareness of the many arguments that philosophers have provided against the epistemology, philosophy of language, and ontology presupposed by the Special Theory.------

The authors’ sentiments, not mine.

Matheinste.

A surprisingly large number of philosopers think they understand physics better than physicists. I don't remember who it was, but there's a 'post-modern' philosoper who claims that E = mc2 is a "masculinist" equation! And they wonder why physicists don't take them seriously... :rolleyes:

dx said:
A surprisingly large number of philosopers think they understand physics better than physicists. I don't remember who it was, but there's a 'post-modern' philosoper who claims that E = mc2 is a "masculinist" equation! And they wonder why physicists don't take them seriously... :rolleyes:

Looking up "Fashionable Nonsense" in Wiki will reveal many equally ridiculous utterances from post moderrnists and is well worth a read if you are in need of a little light humour after a hard days physicing.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Looking up "Fashionable Nonsense" in Wiki will reveal many equally ridiculous utterances from post moderrnists and is well worth a read if you are in need of a little light humour after a hard days physicing.

Matheinste.

Good stuff indeed. From the back cover of one of WLC earlier books "Time and the Metaphysics of Relativity" http://books.google.com/books?id=EY...+Lane+Craig+relativity&source=gbs_navlinks_s: The present volume is part of a larger project, which is the attempt to craft a coherent dictrine of divine eternity and God's relationship to time. :rofl:

atyy said:
Good stuff indeed. From the back cover of one of WLC earlier books "Time and the Metaphysics of Relativity" http://books.google.com/books?id=EY...+Lane+Craig+relativity&source=gbs_navlinks_s: The present volume is part of a larger project, which is the attempt to craft a coherent dictrine of divine eternity and God's relationship to time. :rofl:

In the originally mentioned book WLC deals briefly, early on, with the relevance of the nature of a god to Newton's views on time. I should have begun to smell a rat then. Having said that, there are some interesting quotes that I have not seen before, mostly by Lorentz, in the earlier parts of the book that I have read so far.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
In the originally mentioned book WLC deals briefly, early on, with the relevance of the nature of a god to Newton's views on time. I should have begun to smell a rat then.

I would have smelled a mouse! http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/mice.shtml

Question 1: What is the difference between Einstein and Minkowski's theories?

Einstein's theory of relativity is a general theory that explains the relationship between space and time, while Minkowski's theory is a more specific mathematical framework for understanding the geometry of space and time.

Question 2: Which theory is considered more accurate, Einstein's or Minkowski's?

Einstein's theory is considered to be more accurate and widely accepted by the scientific community, as it has been extensively tested and validated through experiments and observations.

Question 3: Can Einstein's and Minkowski's theories be used together?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity and Minkowski's theory of spacetime can both be used together to better understand the relationship between space and time.

Question 4: What is the main concept behind Minkowski's theory?

Minkowski's theory is based on the idea that space and time are not separate entities, but are rather interconnected and form a four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime.

Question 5: How did Einstein and Minkowski's theories influence modern physics?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the fabric of the universe, while Minkowski's theory of spacetime provided a mathematical framework for understanding this relationship. Together, these theories have greatly influenced modern physics and continue to be the basis for many studies and discoveries in the field.