Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein's Big Idea

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you are in the US, or have access to Public Broacasting Station signal, you may want to mark your calendar or your TIVO for Oct. 11 next week.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2
    Thanks! I'll have to see if my rabbit ears can pick that up!

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I'll have to see if Access TV from Edmonton is going to be airing it. I don't get cable. If not, maybe I'll set up a VCR at the GF's neice's place and tape it from cable. Thanks for the heads-up.

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Oct 11, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Don't forget, for many parts of the country, this episode airs tonight!

Zz.

7. Oct 11, 2005 #6
    When can I watch it online?

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

c is for celeritas

Excellent video!! caught it the other evening.. it is scheduled to air at least one more time this week (of Oct 11th). There were several scientists they mentioned, I was not aware of. Next time it airs, i'd like to tape it..
    Here's one thing I learned.. Did you know that c comes from Latin celeritas for speed and now the universal symbol for speed of light in vacuum. Whereas in mid to late 1800s, the most common symbol for speed of light was V which Maxwell began using in 1865. Einstein even adopted this notation for his first few papers on relativity up to 1905. ref

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  9. Oct 13, 2005 #8
    i missed it

dang... will it air again for a second time?

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

check your local listings..(try link that robphy gave) It is scheduled to air several more times this weekend.

11. Oct 16, 2005 #10

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here are some of the scientists they highlighted. Each of their contributions were unique and important leading to the discovery (or demonstration) of how matter and energy are directly connected. reference
    Michael Faraday
    Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier
    James Clerk Maxwell
    Emilie du Châtelet
    Albert Einstein
    Lise Meitner and Otto Robert Frisch

12. Oct 16, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Is this the same one that they had aired on... i think the discovery channel? It has the same name and I think the one on discovery was 2 hours long too.

13. Oct 21, 2005 #12

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know if it was the same, but you can compare.. Here is the pbs website that lists what their NOVA program included. I looked at the Discovery channel website and it seems they took down their information about the Einstein programs they aired.

By the way I noticed I forgot to include Otto Hahn who was Lise Meitner's partner in discovering the nature of splitting an atom. Otto Frisch was her nephew. Frisch was helping Lise when the realization came to her that her experiments with Hahn resulted in splitting an atom (of Uranium) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?