Einstein's Cosmological Constant

In summary, the value of the cosmological constant, also known as the "ecc." or the density of dark energy, is commonly expressed as a percentage of the critical density, with the closest fit to data currently being 73 percent or 0.73. This figure is determined through measurements from the WMAP instrument and various sources online. However, there is still uncertainty and a margin of error in this value, with experts expecting it to fall within the range of 0.69-0.77. The WMAP project continues to provide valuable data and insights into this and other cosmological parameters.
Finger Painter
recently i heard a prominent english physicist using 70 as his value for ecc. what value do you like and where did you get it from?

Physics news on Phys.org
70 what?? In other words, what units?

Originally posted by Finger Painter
recently i heard a prominent english physicist using 70 as his value for ecc. what value do you like and where did you get it from?

70 percent is a common way of expressing the generally agreed-on size of it

there is a widely understood energy density called
the critical density (written "rhocrit")

and the ecc. can be viewed as the density of dark energy or vacuum energy

so it can be expressed as a percentage of rho-crit

and the closest fit to the data is currently 73 percent or 0.73

but many people just say 0.7 or 70 percent because at this
point approximate magnitude is what matters so it sounds too
finicky and overprecise otherwise

what value do you like and where did you get it from?

I personally don't "like" any particular value, I just report what
figure they are using. It is a parameter that is measurable and the best determinations of it come from an instrument called WMAP that is orbiting the sun in a somewhat larger orbit than the earth's. I must say I like the way the ecc. is measured!

Where do you get the 0.73 (or the approximate 0.7) from?
there are a ton of sources for that, many of them online

Michael Turner "Making sense of the new cosmology"
http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0202008

Charles Lineweaver "Inflation and the Cosmic Microwave Background"
http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0305179

Ned Wright's online cosmology tutorial

There is a report by Bennett et al of WMAP results that gives
the latest rundown on measurements of a bunch of cosmological
parameters including this one. If you want URLs ask, this is just a sampling

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your replies. I've also heard 80 as a value, but it does seem a bit arbitrary. until it is proven, i guess maybe that's all we can expect. will it be difficult to get a definitive answer?

thanks for your replies. I've also heard 80 as a value, but it does seem a bit arbitrary. until it is proven, i guess maybe that's all we can expect. will it be difficult to get a definitive answer?

For a look at over a dozen parameters, including this one, currently measured values with error bars showing uncertainty see Table 1 on page 32 of Charles Lineweaver "Inflation and the Cosmic Microwave Background"
http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0305179

That is as of May 2003. As far as the cosm. const goes you can see from the table that the error bar currently looks like this

ΩΛ = 0.73 ± 0.04

That means that experts responsible for publishing the data are betting their professional reputations on future improved observations by their colleagues never getting out of the bracket
0.69 - 0.77

I would guess that future measurements will likely
cluster about 0.73 but there is a margin of error and it is currently plus/minus 0.04

Frankly I don't entirely understand where the certitude comes from but they are the pros and not me and I respect the work to the extent I'm able to judge it, so I accept the data

The WMAP project is pretty amazing and that is where the data in Table one comes from---a recent WMAP report. Have a look and form your own opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Einstein's Cosmological Constant?

Einstein's Cosmological Constant is a term in his famous theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It was originally introduced by Einstein in an attempt to explain why the universe appears to be static and not expanding.

Why is it important?

The Cosmological Constant is important because it has been used in various models of the universe and has been studied extensively in cosmology. It has also been linked to the concept of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

How did Einstein come up with this concept?

Einstein first introduced the Cosmological Constant in 1917 when he was trying to find a solution to his field equations that would produce a static universe. He later abandoned the concept when it was discovered that the universe was actually expanding.

What is the current status of the Cosmological Constant?

The Cosmological Constant is still a topic of research and debate in the scientific community. Recent observational evidence suggests that the universe is actually expanding at an accelerating rate, which is consistent with the presence of dark energy. This has led to renewed interest in the Cosmological Constant as a possible explanation for this phenomenon.

Are there any experiments or observations that have tested the Cosmological Constant?

Yes, there have been various experiments and observations that have tested the Cosmological Constant. One of the most famous examples is the observation of distant supernovae, which showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. Other experiments, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and large-scale structure surveys, have also provided evidence for the existence of dark energy and the Cosmological Constant.