Einstein's Definition of Mass: m = E/c^2

• Thread starter nikkor180
  • Start date
This is known as mass-energy equivalence.In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ##E=mc^2## and its alternative form ##m=E/c^2##, which was proposed by Einstein in special relativity. The speaker clarifies that these two equations are equivalent and that Einstein used them interchangeably. The equation is not a way of defining mass, but rather shows the equivalence between rest energy and mass. Einstein came to this conclusion by demonstrating that a body giving off energy would result in a reduction of its mass by ##E/c^2##, known as mass-energy equivalence.
nikkor180
Greetings: I hope I am posting in the appropriate forum. I understand that in special relativity, Einstein expressed e = mc^2 as m = e/c^2. Is this his way of defining mass? If not, can you explain how he came to this conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I understand your question. ##E=mc^2## is the same as ##m=E/c^2##. Are you confused about that equivalence or are you asking for a derivation of it?

Are you referring to a specific paper in which the equation in the form ##m=E/c^2## appears? If so, please cite the paper so we understand the context. Otherwise, I'm sure Einstein used the equation in both forms regularly.

nikkor180 said:
Is this his way of defining mass?

No, rest energy and mass are equivalent. That's what he's saying.

If not, can you explain how he came to this conclusion?

He showed that if a body gave off an amount of energy ##E## its mass would be reduced by ##E/c^2##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Einstein's definition of mass?

Einstein's definition of mass is given by the equation m = E/c^2, where m represents the mass of an object, E represents its energy, and c is the speed of light.

2. How did Einstein come up with this definition?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the famous equation E=mc^2, led to his definition of mass. This equation states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. By rearranging the equation, Einstein was able to define mass in terms of energy and the speed of light.

3. How does this definition differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, mass is considered to be an inherent property of an object that remains constant regardless of its speed or energy. However, in Einstein's theory of relativity, mass is not a constant and can change depending on the object's energy and speed. This is known as relativistic mass.

4. What are the implications of Einstein's definition of mass?

Einstein's definition of mass has significant implications in the field of physics, particularly in understanding the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light. It also helps explain phenomena such as mass-energy equivalence and the effects of high speeds on an object's mass.

5. Is Einstein's definition of mass widely accepted?

Yes, Einstein's definition of mass is widely accepted and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental concept in modern physics and has been incorporated into many theories, including quantum mechanics and general relativity.