Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein's theory of Special Relativity

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    Okay, I need to get something straight. In Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, as you approach the speed of light, you become more massive correct? So does that mean we are more massive in a moving car than sleeping in our beds?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's relative. If you're observing a sleeper in a moving bed from your car he/she will appear more massive! :-)

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try the sci.physics.faq

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

So the answer is a qualified no.

5. Oct 2, 2004 #4

Mk

how does something have reletive mass?

6. Oct 2, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any object that is moving relative to you has "relative mass". If it is stationary relative to you it has only "rest mass". Notice that both of those are "relative to you". Another person, who is himself moving relative to you will see those differently.

7. Oct 2, 2004 #6
    If: Both of my arms have equal mass

If I spun around with my right hand out, my right hand would be more massive relative to my left hand?

8. Oct 2, 2004 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

However, I doubt that even the strongest atomic bonds would keep an object - let alone your arm - sufficiently rigid (or attached!) for you to measure this effect :cry:

Now, if you were a neutron star ...

9. Oct 2, 2004 #8
    actually is not very preferred by theoreticians to use the idea of relativistic mass. It's better to use the notion of invariant mass, m. If a a particle is massive, then with its invariant mass m you can calculate its rest energy:
    [tex]
    E_{r}=m*c^{2}
    [/tex]
    its kinetic energy
    [tex]
    E_{k}=gamma*m*c^{2}-m*c^2
    [/tex]
    and its total energy
    [tex]
    E_{t}=gamma*m*c^{2}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  10. Oct 2, 2004 #9

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly. Some people do seem to like relativistic mass (hi Pete!). In any event, asking, as one poster did:

invites confusion, because the logical response would be "do you mean relativistic mass, or invariant mass?".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?