Einstein's tongue

1. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have got this huge poster hanging above my desk for many years now, and I have wondered for all those years why he is sticking out his tongue??

In the subcript it says:
    At what occasion did he make this comment?

2. jcsd
  3. Maybe he was just showing his disgust by sticking out his tounge.

I don't know when he said it, but it could have been after they used his bomb.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2003
  4. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. LURCH

LURCH 2,514
    Science Advisor

I've seen the image of which you speak, and I'm fairly sure he was just goofing for the camera. I'm also pretty sure the quote and the photo are not directly related. Someone probably just thougth that the picture of him making a silly face was a good visual to go with that statement about being different and doing unconventional things.

6. I find it funny that you can't find a single bad picture of Einstein. In everyone of them he looks like he is either deeply contemplating the mysteries of the universe or not having any concern about anything.

7. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, goofing for the camera, but how many physicists are known to pose like that?? So the origin of the photo and quote are unknown?

I have also always wondered what that black band is across his shoulder?? Maybe just his scarf..

8. Tsu

Tsu 638
    Gold Member

Mentat may know something about this quote. I believe the first two lines of it are his signature. I always thought the picture was a computer-generated type - you know, not real... Not sure, though. Can't *imagine* Einstein doing this, but physicists are a strange group...:smile:

9. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Einstein's tongue..

Well, there's a theory, called PT theory, which asserts that all physicists have tongues. This theory, of course, cannot be proven -- only supported by a preponderance of evidence. So far, no physicists in violation of PT theory have been found. Many physicists thus feel that PT theory should be more rightly considered a scientific law. However, we may have to wait until the next generation of technology to be able to explore the implications of PT theory's successor, the wildly-speculative PL theory.

- Warren

10. Tsu

Tsu 638
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Einstein's tongue..

I repeat...physicists are a *strange* group...:smile:

11. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah! Great Meteor!

And very funny Chroot :P

12. Einstein was always surprised and annoyed at being famous among the general public who had no idea what his theories were. Once, when checking into a hotel after having walked through a bunch of press photographers snapping his picture, the clerk behind the desk pointed out he'd neglected to fill in the line on the register where it asked for his profession. He looked at the clerk and said "I'm a model."

I'm just about positive the picture of him sticking his tongue out was his way of poking fun at the photographers who just wanted his picture because he was famous. I'm also sure the quote is from a completely different occasion.

13. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously the quote is from a different occasion, it surely was from before '51.

14. LURCH

LURCH 2,514
    Science Advisor

Hey Chroot, how much of the missing dark matter would be accounted for by PL theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?