Einstein's Views on God: A Paper Review

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary, the conversation discusses the beliefs of Albert Einstein, who considered himself an agnostic and did not believe in a personal God. This is supported by a 1954 letter from Einstein and another letter from 1950 where he expresses his belief that morality does not require the concept of a law-giver.
RAD4921
I really enjoyed this paper so I thought I would share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RAD4921 said:
I really enjoyed this paper so I thought I would share.
Unfortunately it's not an accurate portrayal. Einstein considered himself an agnostic.

"I urge those who are interested in Einstein’s beliefs to consult the detailed documentary record. For example, in Albert Einstein: The Human Side (Princeton University Press, 1979), on page 38 one finds a 1954 letter from Einstein, a passage of which reads as follows: “It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious, then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

http://www.princeton.edu/~paw/archive_new/PAW04-05/05-1117/letters.html

“My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment.”

Albert Einstein in a letter to M. Berkowitz, October 25, 1950; Einstein Archive 59-215; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 216.

Last edited:

As a fellow scientist, I appreciate your sharing of this paper on Einstein's views on God. It is always fascinating to explore the perspectives of brilliant minds like Einstein on such complex and controversial topics. I agree that his thoughts on the existence of God, as highlighted in this paper, are thought-provoking and offer a unique perspective.

Einstein's belief in a higher power or "cosmic religious feeling" is an interesting concept that is open to interpretation and discussion. It is clear that he did not adhere to traditional religious beliefs, but rather saw the universe as a manifestation of a divine intelligence. This aligns with his scientific mindset of seeking rational and logical explanations for the mysteries of the universe.

I also appreciate how the paper delves into the influence of Einstein's cultural and personal background on his views on God. It is important to consider the context in which individuals form their beliefs, and this adds depth to our understanding of Einstein's perspective.

Overall, this paper presents a well-researched and thought-provoking exploration of Einstein's views on God. It serves as a reminder that even the most brilliant minds are not immune to questioning and contemplating the existence of a higher power. Thank you for sharing.

1. What were Einstein's beliefs about God?

Einstein's views on God were complex and constantly evolving. In his early years, he believed in the existence of a personal God, but later in life he described himself as an agnostic and rejected the idea of a personal deity.

2. Did Einstein believe in a higher power?

Einstein believed in a "cosmic religious feeling" that he described as a sense of awe and wonder at the beauty and complexity of the universe. He believed that this feeling was a source of true religious experience, rather than a belief in a personal God.

3. Did Einstein believe in an afterlife?

Einstein did not believe in a traditional afterlife or the concept of a soul. He believed that when a person dies, their energy is transformed into other forms, but there is no continuation of consciousness.

4. Did Einstein's views on God impact his scientific work?

Einstein's views on God did not directly impact his scientific work. However, his belief in a rational and orderly universe, which he often attributed to a higher power, may have influenced his approach to scientific inquiry.

5. How did Einstein's views on God differ from traditional religious beliefs?

Einstein's views on God differed from traditional religious beliefs in that he rejected the idea of a personal God who intervenes in the world and answers prayers. He also did not believe in organized religion or the concept of a chosen people.