Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Einstien's E=mc^2 equation -- question...

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    Let's say we have a particle traveling at the speed of light, energy would be E=mc^2, momentum would be then p=mc, lets manipulate, m=E/c^2, momentum would then be p=E/c, but what energy does that equal, the particle only has kinetic energy correct? Then it would be p=1/2mc. Where is the other half?!!! In spring or gravitational?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Partices with mass don't travel with speed of light.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    Oh yeaaaah I was told that before, I forgot, but can we say what if theoretically ?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No we can't.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, That's asking "What would the rules be if I were allowed to break the rules?"

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6
    Interesting. Thank you very much sir... This, and all my abundant amount of strands.

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    Finally someone who speaks my language.

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8
    I think, excuse me though, for I am a amateur, wild idea, but what if space creates the other half through spring, as if space is a flat plane but spring like, and it created the energy, I also think of the same thing with gravity and so one... I sometimes create hypothesizes and later find out I am correct, but not always....Think crazy outside the box ideas.:wink:

10. Mar 31, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Keep that spirit, but pay some attention to what others have thought out over the ages too !

11. Mar 31, 2016 #10
    I'm usually beat to the punch! Especially members of the golden age and on.

12. Mar 31, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know the feeling :wink: , been there too !

13. Mar 31, 2016 #12

Dale

Staff: Mentor

E=mc^2 is the formula for an object at rest (p=0). The full formula (in units where c=1) is E^2-p^2=m^2. So if p=E then m=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted