Einstein's E=mc^2 equation -- question....

• I
  • Thread starter Felix Quintana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary: So the particle has no energy.If we manipulated the equation to change m, we would get p=E/c^2. So the particle has half the energy it had before. If we changed c to the speed of light, the particle would have zero energy.
Felix Quintana
Let's say we have a particle traveling at the speed of light, energy would be E=mc^2, momentum would be then p=mc, let's manipulate, m=E/c^2, momentum would then be p=E/c, but what energy does that equal, the particle only has kinetic energy correct? Then it would be p=1/2mc. Where is the other half?! In spring or gravitational?

Physics news on Phys.org
Partices with mass don't travel with speed of light.

Oh yeaaaah I was told that before, I forgot, but can we say what if theoretically ?

No we can't.

Felix Quintana said:
Oh yeaaaah I was told that before, I forgot, but can we say what if theoretically ?
No, That's asking "What would the rules be if I were allowed to break the rules?"

Interesting. Thank you very much sir... This, and all my abundant amount of strands.

Janus said:
No, That's asking "What would the rules be if I were allowed to break the rules?"
Finally someone who speaks my language.

I think, excuse me though, for I am a amateur, wild idea, but what if space creates the other half through spring, as if space is a flat plane but spring like, and it created the energy, I also think of the same thing with gravity and so one... I sometimes create hypothesizes and later find out I am correct, but not always...Think crazy outside the box ideas.:wink:

Keep that spirit, but pay some attention to what others have thought out over the ages too !

I'm usually beat to the punch! Especially members of the golden age and on.

Know the feeling :wink: , been there too !

Likes Felix Quintana
Felix Quintana said:
Let's say we have a particle traveling at the speed of light, energy would be E=mc^2
E=mc^2 is the formula for an object at rest (p=0). The full formula (in units where c=1) is E^2-p^2=m^2. So if p=E then m=0.

Likes BvU and Felix Quintana

1. What does Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, mean?

The equation E=mc^2 represents the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other, with the speed of light serving as a conversion factor.

2. How did Einstein come up with the equation E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 was first proposed by Einstein in his theory of special relativity, which he developed in 1905. In this theory, he showed that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable, leading to the famous equation.

3. Is E=mc^2 applicable to everyday objects?

Yes, E=mc^2 is applicable to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, the amount of energy produced by converting a small amount of mass would be too small to be observed in everyday life.

4. How has E=mc^2 impacted the field of physics?

E=mc^2 is one of the most well-known and influential equations in physics. It has led to a better understanding of the relationship between energy and mass, and has also played a crucial role in the development of nuclear energy and weapons.

5. Can E=mc^2 be disproven or modified?

So far, no experiments or observations have disproved E=mc^2. However, it is possible that future scientific advancements may lead to modifications or refinements of the equation, as has happened with other scientific theories in the past.