1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Einstien's E=mc^2 equation -- question...

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    Let's say we have a particle traveling at the speed of light, energy would be E=mc^2, momentum would be then p=mc, lets manipulate, m=E/c^2, momentum would then be p=E/c, but what energy does that equal, the particle only has kinetic energy correct? Then it would be p=1/2mc. Where is the other half?!!! In spring or gravitational?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Partices with mass don't travel with speed of light.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    Oh yeaaaah I was told that before, I forgot, but can we say what if theoretically ?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No we can't.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, That's asking "What would the rules be if I were allowed to break the rules?"

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6
    Interesting. Thank you very much sir... This, and all my abundant amount of strands.

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    Finally someone who speaks my language.

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8
    I think, excuse me though, for I am a amateur, wild idea, but what if space creates the other half through spring, as if space is a flat plane but spring like, and it created the energy, I also think of the same thing with gravity and so one... I sometimes create hypothesizes and later find out I am correct, but not always....Think crazy outside the box ideas.:wink:

10. Mar 31, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Keep that spirit, but pay some attention to what others have thought out over the ages too !

11. Mar 31, 2016 #10
    I'm usually beat to the punch! Especially members of the golden age and on.

12. Mar 31, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know the feeling :wink: , been there too !

13. Mar 31, 2016 #12

Dale

Staff: Mentor

E=mc^2 is the formula for an object at rest (p=0). The full formula (in units where c=1) is E^2-p^2=m^2. So if p=E then m=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted