What Caused My Monitor to Explode and Can I Still Use It?

In summary, the conversation discussed a recent incident where something inside the speaker exploded and generated smoke. The speaker was unplugged and later plugged back in to find that the only issue was the image being shifted to the right. The user was curious about what happened and asked if it was safe to continue using the monitor, mentioning that it is an older model. One person suggested that a capacitor may have blown and advised caution when using the monitor.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Last night, something exploded inside my monitor. It generated some smoke which I could smell. I pulled the plug as fast a possible, but after a some time past I got curious and plugged the monitor back in and turned it on. To my suprise, the only problem was that the image was shifted to the right. I moved the image back to the left with the OSD and everything seems fine now.

Does anyone have any idea what happened? Did a capacitor blow? Is it safe to continue to use the monitor? I have a Viewsonic GS790 which is about 5-6 years old.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could be a bug.

:rofl:

Definitely sounds like a capacitor blew. If it was in parallel with some other capacitors, the monitor may still work fine -- you just now have a more limited total range over which you can move the image.

I'd be cautious, though.

- Warren

1. What causes a monitor to catch on fire?

The most common cause of a monitor catching on fire is a malfunctioning power supply or overheating due to dust build-up. It can also occur due to a faulty electrical component or a power surge.

2. Is it safe to continue using a monitor that has caught on fire?

No, it is not safe to continue using a monitor that has caught on fire. It can pose a risk of electrocution or even start a larger fire. It is important to turn off the monitor and unplug it immediately.

3. How can I prevent my monitor from catching on fire?

To prevent your monitor from catching on fire, make sure to regularly clean and dust the vents and fans to prevent overheating. It is also important to use a surge protector and not overload the electrical outlets.

4. Can a monitor fire be extinguished with water?

No, you should never use water to extinguish a monitor fire as it can cause electrocution. Use a fire extinguisher or call the fire department immediately.

5. Is it possible to repair a monitor that has caught on fire?

In most cases, it is not possible to repair a monitor that has caught on fire. It is best to replace the monitor to avoid any potential safety hazards.