1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

El. Eng. ProblemCan Someone help me with it

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can't seem to solve this equation from my electrical engineering class.. Can someone please help..

Picture2-10.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    Are you required to use a particular method to solve this network? If not, I would think the superposition method would be a good one to use in this case.

If you make an attempt and show your work, you will get some help.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    you have to use thevenin's theorem..thats the problem... im not familiar with it at all..
    just started this course..and im having a really hard time..
    my attempt would take too long to post online.. thats why i havent posted it..

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    Thevenin's theorem procedures:

1) Replace a short circuit instead of the voltage sources and open circuit instead of current sources.

2) Remove the 5 Ohm resistor that you want to calculate the current through it leaving an open circuit instead of the resistor.

3) Calculate the resistance seen from the open that you leave. Call it RTH.

4) Calculate the voltage on the open circuit. Call it VTH.

5) Now draw a practical voltage source (an ideal voltage source in sereis with a resistor) with a voltage of VTH and a resistor value of RTH.

6) Noe return the 5 Ohm resistor. Ix = VTH / (RTH + 5)

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook