Elastic and inelastic collision problems

In summary, the conversation discusses reviewing material for a technical interview and encountering problems with understanding the conservation of energy and momentum equations for elastic collisions. The concept of the velocity difference being the reverse before and after collision is also explained. Another approach is also mentioned, using the coefficient of restitution formula.
Bernoulli19
Hey everyone,
Reviewing material for a technical interview and I have stumbled into some problems that I sadly have issues with. Old review for me :D. Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.PNG

I can follow up through the conservation of energy equation. However at the in an elastic collision line, I do not know why those are being subtracted. That would not seem to follow the conservation of momentum since the masses are not the same.

assuming i can get that part, the Vo = v - V is just substituted into the simplified conservation of momentum equation? Is nothing done with the conservation of energy equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli19 said:
Hey everyone,
Reviewing material for a technical interview and I have stumbled into some problems that I sadly have issues with. Old review for me :D. Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.PNG

I can follow up through the conservation of energy equation. However at the in an elastic collision line, I do not know why those are being subtracted. That would not seem to follow the conservation of momentum since the masses are not the same.

assuming i can get that part, the Vo = v - V is just substituted into the simplified conservation of momentum equation? Is nothing done with the conservation of energy equation?

That velocity arrangement is actually true. It is saying that the difference in velocity before collision is the reverse of the difference in velocity after. If you visualise the collision from the point of view of the centre of mass - you would see both masses approach the C of M at a certain speed, then bounce off at the same speed [but opposite direction].

I will demonstrate:

The way I work these problems is as follows.

If you calculate as if for an inelastic collision [totally - the masses stick together] in the first instance, you can note how much the velocity of each body changes for that to happen.
When the collision is actually elastic, the velocities change by that much again.

eg if M = 10, m = 1 and the initial vel of M was 11 m/s

During collision, at the point when the masses are traveling at the same velocity, that common velocity will be 10m/s [conservation of momentum will get you that - I chose figures wisely to avoid decimals]

If the collision was inelastic, you have finished

If the collision is elastic we look at the changes.
VM reduced by 1 - from 11 to 10.
Vm increased by 10 - from 0 to 10

They will change by that much again!

So afterwards:
VM = 9 [reduced by another 1]
and
Vm = 20 [increased by another 10]

before collision, M was traveling 11 m/s faster than m
after collision, m is traveling 11 m/s faster than M

NOTE: The Centre of Mass of this system has been traveling at a constant 10 m/s.

Before, M was doing 11 m/s, so approaching the CofM at 1 m/s, afterwards it was moving away at 1 m/s [or traveling at 9 m/s relative to a stationary observer]
Before, m was approaching at 10 m/s [some would say the CofM was approaching it at 10 m/s], afterwards it was moving away from the CofM at 10 m/s - [or traveling at 20 m/s relative to a stationary observer]

Thank you for the quick reply. I am going on a quick trip in the morning but i read this a few times and will work on it at the airport and let you know wednesdayish. Thanks!

Another way to look at this is to see that those equations can be derived from the coefficient of restitution formula:
[tex]e = \frac{v^{'}_{2} - v^{'}_{1}}{v_{1} - v_{2}}[/tex]
Where e = 1 in an elastic collision, and e = 0 in a perfectly inelastic collision. All other inelastic collisions range in between.

Hi there, it's great that you are reviewing material for a technical interview. Elastic and inelastic collisions are important concepts in physics, so it's important to have a good understanding of them.

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This is why in the conservation of energy equation, we use the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 mv^2) and subtract it from both sides. This is to ensure that both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved in the collision.

In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors. Therefore, in the conservation of energy equation, we do not use the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 mv^2) because it is not conserved in an inelastic collision.

To answer your question about Vo = v - V, this is simply the equation for relative velocity, where Vo is the initial velocity of one object, v is the final velocity of that object, and V is the initial velocity of the other object. This equation is used in both elastic and inelastic collisions to determine the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts of elastic and inelastic collisions for you. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck on your technical interview!

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while inelastic collisions are those in which some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

How do you calculate the final velocities of objects after an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the final velocities can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. The final velocities can be solved for using algebraic manipulation of these equations.

What is the coefficient of restitution and how is it related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision.

Can there be an inelastic collision without any loss of kinetic energy?

No, inelastic collisions by definition involve a loss of kinetic energy. Even if the objects stick together after the collision, the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or deformation of the objects.

How does the mass of the objects affect the outcome of an elastic or inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the masses of the objects do not affect the final velocities, as the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations do not depend on the masses. However, in an inelastic collision, the masses can affect the final velocities as the kinetic energy is not conserved.