Elastic Ball Problem: Is Something Wrong?

In summary, the ball is released above the inclined plane so won't it be the height above it? or are the terms "inclined plane" and "plane a bit different" like inclined or horizontal?In summary, the ball is released above the inclined plane so won't it be the height above it? or are the terms "inclined plane" and "plane a bit different" like inclined or horizontal?
IamVector
Homework Statement
An elastic ball is released above an inclined plane
(inclination angle α) at distance d from the plane. What is
the distance between the first bouncing point and the second?
Collisions occur without friction.
Relevant Equations
the answer I got is 8dsinα but given answer is 8dtanα
anything wrong with sol or my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram and show your work

Likes IamVector
phinds said:
v² = √(2dg)
splitting into components
component ∥ to plane = v(sinα)
and as collosion is elastic component ⊥ plane = v(cosα)
thus time of flight = 2*t = 2* √(2d/g) = √(8d/g) = T
now s(distance) = (√(2dg) sinαT + ½ gsinαT²
thus by subsitution
s = 8dsinα

phinds said:
??

"at distance d from the plane"
Not clear whether it is the vertical distance or the shortest distance.
IamVector said:
thus time of flight = 2*t = 2* √(2d/g)
After the first bounce? How do you get that? Remember, it will spend longer coming down than rising.

haruspex said:
"at distance d from the plane"
Not clear whether it is the vertical distance or the shortest distance.

After the first bounce? How do you get that? Remember, it will spend longer coming down than rising.
I am bad at making diagram on my computer hope it will help a bit .

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-13 093529.png
    Annotation 2020-03-13 093529.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 79
IamVector said:
I am bad at making diagram on my computer hope it will help a bit .
Ok, but how do you get the range to the second bounce?

haruspex said:
Ok, but how do you get the range to the second bounce?
there was a component of gravity perpendicular to plane and one parallel to it so I used perpendicular one to find the time of flight and parallel one to find the range as shown in #3

IamVector said:
there was a component of gravity perpendicular to plane and one parallel to it so I used perpendicular one to find the time of flight and parallel one to find the range as shown in #3
Ok, very good.
I agree with your answer except, as I mentioned, it says d is the distance from the plane; it doesn’t say the height above the plane. But that would make the answer even larger, so doesn’t help.

haruspex said:
Ok, very good.
I agree with your answer except, as I mentioned, it says d is the distance from the plane; it doesn’t say the height above the plane. But that would make the answer even larger, so doesn’t help.
what does "from the plane means??" ball is released above the inclined plane so won't it be the height above it? or are the terms "inclined plane" and "plane a bit different" like inclined or horizontal?

IamVector said:
what does "from the plane means??
The distance from a point to a plane is generally taken to be along the shortest path, i.e. normal to the plane.

haruspex said:
Ok, very good.
Yes it does, tan is larger than sin by a factor 1/cos, which just happens to be the same factor by which the vertical distance is larger than the shortest distance.

Orodruin said:
Yes it does, tan is larger than sin by a factor 1/cos, which just happens to be the same factor by which the vertical distance is larger than the shortest distance.
Doh! I misremembered which way round the book answer and the OP's answer were.
Thanks.

Orodruin said:
ohk so we were asked to find horizontal displacement.

IamVector said:
ohk so we were asked to find horizontal displacement.
No. That would be shorter than the displacement along the slope.

The issue is exactly what @haruspex has been zooming in on - you are told the distance to the plane, not the height above the plane.

Orodruin said:
No. That would be shorter than the displacement along the slope.

The issue is exactly what @haruspex has been zooming in on - you are told the distance to the plane, not the height above the plane.
does it means perpendicular distance like this??
1584089789749.png

IamVector said:
does it means perpendicular distance like this??View attachment 258622
Yes, that is typically what you mean when you say "distance to the plane", i.e., the shortest possible distance to a point on the plane.

Likes IamVector
Orodruin said:
Yes, that is typically what you mean when you say "distance to the plane", i.e., the shortest possible distance to a point on the plane.
ohk
that is why its tan except sin, I completely misunderstood it thanks for help : ) .

1. What is the Elastic Ball Problem?

The Elastic Ball Problem is a physics experiment that involves dropping a ball onto a hard surface and measuring the height of its bounces. It is used to study the principles of energy conservation and elasticity.

2. How does the Elastic Ball Problem relate to real-life situations?

The Elastic Ball Problem is a simplified version of real-life situations where objects collide or bounce, such as in sports or car accidents. By understanding the principles of energy conservation and elasticity, we can better predict and prevent potential accidents.

3. Is there a "correct" answer to the Elastic Ball Problem?

No, there is not a single correct answer to the Elastic Ball Problem. The results will vary depending on factors such as the material and shape of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the height from which it is dropped. The goal is to analyze the results and understand the underlying principles.

4. What can we learn from the Elastic Ball Problem?

By conducting the Elastic Ball Problem, we can learn about the principles of energy conservation and elasticity. We can also learn about the effects of different variables, such as the material and surface, on the ball's bounces. This can help us understand and predict the behavior of objects in real-life situations.

5. Is something wrong if the ball does not bounce back to its original height?

No, it is not necessarily wrong if the ball does not bounce back to its original height. This could be due to factors such as air resistance or imperfections in the ball or surface. However, if the results are significantly different from what is expected, it may indicate a flaw in the experiment setup or calculation methods.