1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision and Simultaneous Equations

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    :surprised Hello I need help with elastic collisions. I know you have to solve simultaneous equations, but for the problem I'm on, the equation has a power other than one like X2 etc. How do I do this on A TI-83 +? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

I don't know how to do it on a TI-83, but I know how to do it on paper. Work to reduce your equations to a single unknown. If that unknown happens to be quadratic, then factor it if possible - if not, use the quadratic formula.
  4. Nov 16, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Learn to do it by hand; don't use a calculator as a crutch, but as a tool to calculate swiftly stuff you know how to do yourself.
  5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
    Your 83 can't do it with the default software on it. The best you'd be able to do is plot the curves and find the intersection, but for that you'd also need numbers for the coefficients, and if there's more than one independent variable, then you're SOL.

If you're expected to be able to do the problem without a computer algebra system, then it should be easy enough to do by hand that it's not worth going to a computer to do it for you. That is, if you learn how to do it beforehand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?