Elastic Collision and Simultaneous Equations

In summary, the person is seeking help with solving elastic collisions and is wondering how to do it on a TI-83 calculator. The expert recommends reducing equations to a single unknown and using the quadratic formula if necessary. They also advise learning to do it by hand instead of relying on a calculator. They mention that the TI-83 may not be able to solve the problem with its default software and suggest learning how to do it by hand beforehand.
dbusack1013
Hello I need help with elastic collisions. I know you have to solve simultaneous equations, but for the problem I'm on, the equation has a power other than one like X2 etc. How do I do this on A TI-83 +? Thank you.
Doug​

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do it on a TI-83, but I know how to do it on paper. Work to reduce your equations to a single unknown. If that unknown happens to be quadratic, then factor it if possible - if not, use the quadratic formula.

Learn to do it by hand; don't use a calculator as a crutch, but as a tool to calculate swiftly stuff you know how to do yourself.

Your 83 can't do it with the default software on it. The best you'd be able to do is plot the curves and find the intersection, but for that you'd also need numbers for the coefficients, and if there's more than one independent variable, then you're SOL.

If you're expected to be able to do the problem without a computer algebra system, then it should be easy enough to do by hand that it's not worth going to a computer to do it for you. That is, if you learn how to do it beforehand.

--J

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum of the system before and after the collision remain the same.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the energy is lost in the form of heat or deformation of the objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is v1f = ((m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i) / (m1 + m2) and v2f = ((m2 - m1)v2i + 2m1v1i) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and v1i and v2i are their initial velocities.

4. How can simultaneous equations be used to solve for the velocities in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy can be expressed as two simultaneous equations. By solving these equations, we can find the values of the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between three or more objects?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between three or more objects. In this case, the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy must be applied to all objects involved in the collision.