Elastic collision between protons

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the collision between two protons, one with a kinetic energy of 10GeV and the other at rest. The goal is to find the velocities of both protons after the collision, which is an elastic collision. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, but it is pointed out that the gamma factors and four-momentum algebra should be considered for a more accurate solution.
missinghorn

Homework Statement

a proton with kinetic energy 10GeV collides with a proton at rest. 1 proton goes off with an angle of 45 degrees relative to the incoming proton. Find the velocity of both protons after the collison. This is an ellastic collision.
E(initial) = 938 mev
i honestly don't know where to start off but here's my attempts at a answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E=(MC^2)/(1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

V/c= (1-((mc^2)/(E^2)))^1/2 V= .99632c

V= v1 cos (30) + v2 cos(theta)
v1 sin (30) + v2 sin (theta)
E = E1 + E2
10.938 gev = .938 gev/ (1-(v1/c)^2))^1/2 + .938gev/(1-(v2/c)^2)^1/2
substitute and get the answer v1 is .00458
and v2 is .49780
however these answers don't work when put back into the equations..

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the gamma factors in the conservation of momentum equations.

Also, you can solve the problem more easily using four-momentum algebra. You then only have to deal with one equation for hte energy of one proton after the collision, you don't have to consider a simultaneous set of equations for the energies and momenta of the two protons after the collision.

four momentum algebra..? can u start me off with the equations?
and also where have i missed the gamma..? because i can't seem to find it ..? unless my equations are wrong.

1. What is an elastic collision between protons?

An elastic collision between protons is a type of interaction between two protons where they collide and then rebound without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision.

2. What are the conditions for an elastic collision between protons to occur?

For an elastic collision between protons to occur, the protons must be moving in opposite directions and have the same mass. Additionally, there should be no external forces acting on the protons during the collision.

3. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision between protons?

In an elastic collision between protons, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the protons before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum after the collision.

4. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision between protons?

In an elastic collision between protons, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

5. How is the speed of the protons affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision between protons, the speed of the protons after the collision will depend on the angle at which they collide. If the protons collide head-on, they will rebound with the same speed. However, if they collide at an angle, the speed of the protons after the collision will be different from their initial speeds.