1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision in 2-D?

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hockey puck B rests on a smooth surface of ice and is struck by a second puck A , which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A. The pucks have the same mass.
    -Compute the speed of puck A after the collision.
    -Compute the speed of puck B after the collision.
    -What fraction of the original kinetic energy of puck A dissipates during the collision?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This has got me really confused. I don't even know where to begin. I drew a diagram thought I was supposed to find the x and y components of A to get the final velocity of A and then change in A equals the negative change in B, but I'm not getting it. Please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

show more work...

what diagram did you draw?
    what equations would you need to satisfy?

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    My diagram shows puck A moving in the positive x direction at 40 m/s and colliding with puck B. After the collision puck A is deflected 30.0 degrees relative to the positive x axis at some final velocity. Puck B moves from rest to some final velocity 45 degrees relative to the negative x axis.
    I'm not exactly sure which equation(s) I need. I'm assume because the masses are unknown but equal, the equation change in velocity of A is equal to the negative change in the velocity of B.

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general, what happens in a collision?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook