Elastic collision in two cases

In summary, in an elastic collision between two similar masses, the kinetic energy is conserved. For the scenarios provided, if mass 2 has an initial velocity of zero, then mass 1's velocity after collision will also be zero. For mass 1 to have a negative velocity after collision, mass 2's initial velocity would need to be in the negative direction. This follows the principle that in an elastic collision, the difference between receding velocities is equal to the difference between approaching velocities of the masses.
Encarta

Homework Statement

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved. That said, I do not have a specific question, but rather a broad, conceptual problem. Consider two similar masses of mass m. m1 approaches m2, with an initial velocity v1i and makes an elastic collision. Under what circumstances do the following cases happen?
a) m1's velocity after collision is zero.
b) m1's velocity after collision is in the negative direction (assuming it's initial path to be in the positive direction)?

Homework Equations

In an elastic collision, the difference between receding velocities is equal to the difference between approaching velocities of the masses.

The Attempt at a Solution

Given experience from playing pool and billiards, I would say that for a) to happen, the initial velocity of mass 2 has to be zero. This would also verify the "relevant equation" above.
For b, to happen, would the initial velocity of mass 2 have to be in the negative direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
As i see if not going wrong, i would chose b) because the question has been said that is elastic collision. Except the question say is inelastic collision then i will chose a).:smile:

Wait, sorry for not being clear, a and b are not options. They are two different scenarios. What would need to happen for a to take place? And what would need to happen for b to take place?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What are the two cases of elastic collisions?

The two cases of elastic collisions are head-on collisions and oblique collisions. In a head-on collision, the two objects collide directly with each other, while in an oblique collision, the objects collide at an angle.

3. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the objects multiplied by their velocities remains constant.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is that in elastic collisions, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in inelastic collisions, there is a loss of kinetic energy. Inelastic collisions also result in a change in the shape of the objects involved.

5. How can the coefficient of restitution be used to determine if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. If the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, the collision is elastic, while if it is less than 1, the collision is inelastic. In other words, the closer the coefficient of restitution is to 1, the more elastic the collision is.