1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision lab

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    Im preparing for an Elastic Collision lab today and was wondering is someone would check my prelab questions.

A 5 kg object traveling at 4 m/s collides head on with a 10 kg object moving toward it with a speed of 3 m/s. The 10 kg object stops dead after the collision.

a) What is the final speed of the 5 kg object?

I used conservation of momentum.

p1i + p2i = p1f + p2f

20 - 30= p1f + 0; p1f= -10; v1f= -2 m/s

b) Is the collision elastic? This is where i question myself. Since the lab is for an elastic collision I would think it would be elastic. However, when I plug these values into their KE values it seems otherwise.

KE1i + KE2i = KE1f + KE2f

(.5 * 5 * 16) - (.5 * 10 *9) = (.5 * 5 * 4) + 0
    Since 40 - 45 = 5; and KE1f = 10; It is inelastic. Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2
    10 is your final speed not Ke for inelastic collisions use only conservation of momentum

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3
    It is inelastic, but there is no negative sign when you calculate the kinetic energies. Therefore the initial kinetic energy of the system is 85 J.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?