Elastic Collision of 2 balls

In summary, the problem involves two spheres of mass M1 and M2 that are dropped from rest from a height of 5.0 m. M2 collides elastically with the ground and then elastically with M1. The goal is to calculate the maximum height that the center of M1 rises above the ground after the collision. The given variables are D = 0.20 cm, d = 0.05 cm, M1 = 0.20 kg, and M2 = 1.10 kg. The solution involves using potential energy conservation and considering the interaction between M1 and M2 as they collide. The collision formula (9.89)(1.1)=(.2)(v) is used,
mshiddensecret

Homework Statement

Two spheres of mass M1 and M2 are arranged one above the other as shown. They are separated by a fraction of a mm. They are released from rest and allowed to fall to the ground, a distance h = 5.0 m below. Mass M2 collides elastically with the ground and then elastically with mass M1. Calculate the maximum height the center of M1 rises above the ground after the collision. D = 0.20 cm, d = 0.05 cm, M1 = 0.20 kg, M2 = 1.10 kg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I got the velocity by using vf^2 = 2ad and got 9.89m/s.

I use the collision formula:

(9.89)(1.1)=(.2)(v)

v= 54.337 - 9.89
=44.557 m/s for the smaller ball.

then 0=44.557^2+2ad

d=101.29 + 5 m = 106m.

Its incorrect.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit tricky, so I'd prefer to know the textbook's answer before I venture to offer guidance.

But I think the interaction is between M1 coming down at some speed and colliding with M2 traveling upwards. I think that's what the authors must be intending, anyway.

Use potential energy conservation.
(I assume M1 originally sits on top of M2. You should also define d and D though I imagine they are the diameters of M1 and M2 respectively).

I assume that the balls are so small compared to the distance dropped that we can effectively treat them as point masses.
mshiddensecret said:
I use the collision formula:
(9.89)(1.1)=(.2)(v)
What formula is that, exactly? What does it apply to? What are the velocities of the two balls immediately before they collide?

Hello,

Thank you for providing your attempt at a solution. I can see that you have correctly calculated the initial velocity of the smaller ball, but there are a few mistakes in your calculations afterwards.

Firstly, in the collision formula, the masses should be multiplied together, not added. So it should be (9.89)(1.1) = (0.2)(v), which gives a final velocity of 54.337 m/s for the smaller ball.

Next, when using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, you need to use the final velocity of the smaller ball (54.337 m/s) and the initial velocity of the larger ball (9.89 m/s) since they are the two objects involved in the collision. This gives a displacement of 106.8 m, which is closer to the correct answer of 106 m.

However, there is one more step that needs to be taken into account. After the collision, the larger ball will also have a velocity, which needs to be taken into account when calculating the maximum height it will reach. This can be done by using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad again, but this time using the final velocity of the larger ball (9.89 m/s) and the initial velocity of 0 m/s. This gives a displacement of 25.9 m, which when added to the initial height of 5 m, gives a maximum height of 30.9 m.

I hope this helps and clarifies the solution for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and total momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some of the energy is lost to other forms, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, all of the kinetic energy is retained.

3. What are the conditions for an elastic collision to occur?

The two objects must be in motion and collide with each other. Additionally, the objects must be solid and not deformable, and there can be no external forces acting on the system.

4. What is the formula for calculating the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

The formula is v1f = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (2m2)/(m1 + m2) * v2i and v2f = (2m1)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (m2 - m1)/(m1 + m2) * v2i, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities, but the total kinetic energy of the system will remain the same.