1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision of 3 balls

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball with an initial speed of v1 = 21.5 m/s collides elastically with two identical balls whose centers are on a line perpendicular to the initial velocity and that are initially in contact with each other. The first ball is aimed directly at the contact point and all motion is frictionless.
    >What is the speed of ball 1 after the collision?
    >What is the speed of ball 2 after the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1fcos(θ) + m2v2fcos(θ)
    KE = 1/2 mv12 + 1/2 mv22

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know that the velocities have two components, x and y. I also know that at the collision point, the angle of the centers of mass are 30° (since the balls form an equilateral triangle).
    For the x-component, I tried using the conservation of momentum equation above with cos(30°) and using the KE equation to substitute for unknown values of v1 and v2.
    For the y-component I tried doing the same, but since the original velocity in the y-component is 0, I used
    0 = m1v1sin(θ) + m2v2sin(30). For θ I tried 30, 60, and 180, but none of them worked.
    Now I'm a bit stuck and I'm getting confused from all the variables I'm trying here. Any direction is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi baubletop! :smile:

what directions are you assuming for the three balls after the collision? :wink:

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Should the first one go backwards since it's an elastic collision?

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i'm not worried about backwards or forwards, just the line :wink:

(and now i'm off to bed :zzz:)

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5
    This is the diagram that came with the problem:
    prob04a.gif

So the first ball would go forward, and the other two would move outwards 30° from that straight line, right?

7. Nov 1, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz:)
    (forwards or backwards)

yup! :smile:

ok, now do components of momentum in the forwards direction, and energy :wink:

8. Apr 21, 2014 #7
    I have exactly the same problem.
    Can someone please explain and solve this? Please?

(baubletop have you ever solve this?)

Many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted