1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision problem, I need help to find the mistake

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects with equal masses undergo an elastic collision in 2 dimensions. Object 1 has an initial velocity u1 and object 2 is initially at rest. After the collision, object 1 is observed to have a velocity equal to 3/5 of it's initial velocity. What is the velocity of object 2 after the collision, v2, in units of u1?

3. The attempt at a solution

Let

m1 = m2 = m

initial speeds,
    u1 = u1

u2 = 0

final speeds,

v1 = (3/5)*u1

v2 = ?

Apply conservation of momentum

m1*u1 + m2*u2 = m1*v1 + m2*v2

m*u1 + 0 = m*(3/5)*u1 + m*v2

u1 = (3/5)*u1 + v2

v2 = u1*(1- 3/5)

= (2/5)*u1 or 0.4*u1 <<<<<<<-----Answer (unfortunately it's wrong but I don't know why!)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is said that the collision is elastic and is two-dimensional- It should mean that the velocity of m1 is not parallel with the initial velocity. Check the original text if the final speed is 3/5 of the initial speed?

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3
    yes it's 3/5 of the initial speed

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume that both objects have both x and y components and use energy conservation, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted