1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision problem! Please help!

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Okay I have been working on this problem forever and I don't know what else to try. Can anyone help me?....

A 0.005-kg block is released from rest at the top of a frictionless track 2.50 m above the top of a table. It then collides elastically with a 1.00-kg object that is initially at rest on the table. (a) Determine the velocities of the two objects just after the collision. (b) How high up the track does the 0.500-kg object travel back after the collision? (c) How far away from the bottom of the table does the 1.00-kg object land, given that the table is 2.00 m hight? (d) How far away from the bottom of the table does the 0.500-kg object eventually land?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    Hmmm, sounds like a homework problem. You need to think about conservation of momentum and conservation of mechanical energy.
  4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    Concepts involved:

a.Conservation of momentum
    c.Projectile Motion
    d.Projectile motion

I would have loves to do the question for ya but the guidelines prevent me from doing so.Show some attempt.
  5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    This question is incomplete because set of information provided does not support the question asked. if the motion is linearly verticle then why would the block at table will move horizontally, if the block is released vertically. so to solve this problem you must have a clear figure or the situation must describe more about the kinemetics of the question. else if you have figure either post it or describe it and if figure is avaliable with you then it is very easy then just apply conservation of momentum and mechanical energy.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  6. Jun 16, 2008 #5
    Sorry guys for not showing my original effort. It was late. I tried finding vf with this equation: mgh + 1/2mv^2 = mgh + 1/2mv^2 and it seems like no matter what numbers I plug in I can't come up with the correct answer. I will try ya'll suggestions to see if I can do something differently. Thanks for replying.
  7. Jun 16, 2008 #6
    By the way, there is a figure provided with the question. There is a table that is 2.00 m off the ground with a slope on top of the table that is 2.50 m high with m1 at the top of the slope and m2 at the bottom of the slope. And x is on the ground out from the table.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?