How to solve an elastic collision problem?

In summary, the block moved right to the final velocities of 6 m/s and 2 kg. The initial and final energies were also calculated.
Jatsix30

Homework Statement

A 4 kg block moving to the right at 6 m/s collides elastically with a 2 kg block moving to the right at 3 m/s. Find the final velocities and the initial and final energies. Show all your work. [ignore external forces]

Homework Equations

In an elastic collision momentum inital = momentum final and KEi = KEf
momentum = mv
KE= .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used these equations and did some algebra but ended up getting too many variables. Am i missing some info here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jatsix30 said:
I used these equations and did some algebra but ended up getting too many variables. Am i missing some info here?

You should end up with a system of two equations with two unknowns, i.e. the final velocities.

Jatsix30 said:

Show the working that you have done. I assure you, there is enough information given in the question to solve the problem.

You need to know what the energy is at the start for each particle add them together and then equal it to the total energy after the collision.

algebra

ok, well knowing that p initial = p final, i knew that

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Moving the variables around so that i would have the masses as common variables, i got

m1 (v1i - v1f) = m2 (v2f - v2i) -- equation 1

at this point i worked with the kinetic energy equations, knowing that KE initial = KE final.

.5m1(v1i)^2 + .5m2(v2i)^2 = .5 m1(v1f)^2 + .5 m2(v2f)^2

after factoring out .5 and moving the variables so that i had the masses as common variables, i got

m1(v1i^2 - v1f^2) = m2 (v2f^2 - v2i^2) -- equation 2

at this point i divided this equation (equation 2) by the equation i got after working (equation 1) with the momentum equations to eliminate the masses. (this is something my teacher said to do, though I'm not really sure how it is helpful.)

After eliminationg the masses on each side, i got

(v1i^2 - v1f^2) / (v1i - v1f) = (v2f^2 - v2i^2) / (v2f - v2i)

knowing that the numerators in each case were differences of two squares, i factored that and canceled out one factor on each side with the denominator, leaving

v1i + v1f = v2f + v2i

and this is where i got stuck.

Jatsix30 said:
ok, well knowing that p initial = p final, i knew that

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Moving the variables around so that i would have the masses as common variables, i got

m1 (v1i - v1f) = m2 (v2f - v2i) -- equation 1

at this point i worked with the kinetic energy equations, knowing that KE initial = KE final.

.5m1(v1i)^2 + .5m2(v2i)^2 = .5 m1(v1f)^2 + .5 m2(v2f)^2

after factoring out .5 and moving the variables so that i had the masses as common variables, i got

m1(v1i^2 - v1f^2) = m2 (v2f^2 - v2i^2) -- equation 2

at this point i divided this equation (equation 2) by the equation i got after working (equation 1) with the momentum equations to eliminate the masses. (this is something my teacher said to do, though I'm not really sure how it is helpful.)

You are using the correct method upto here, however I would not divide one equation into the other. (I can see this is just confusing you, and besides you have the two equations which will give the solution).

You are given the values of the masses, and the initial velocties, so put them into eqn 1. This will then be an expression in v2f and v1f. Do a similar thing for the energy equation, yielding a second expression in v1f and v2f.

These simultaneous equations can then be solved for the unknown variables. (i.e. use eqn 1 to substitute for v2f in eqn 2, enabling you to calculate v1f).

Last edited:

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where their total kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is the velocity of an object calculated in an elastic collision?

The velocity of an object after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. This involves taking into account the masses and initial velocities of both objects.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. However, in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. How do you determine if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

A collision can be determined to be elastic or inelastic by calculating the coefficient of restitution, which is the ratio of the final to initial relative velocity of the objects. If the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, the collision is elastic. If it is less than 1, the collision is inelastic.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations take into account the masses of both objects in determining the final velocities after the collision.