How Do You Solve an Elastic Collision Problem with Different Masses?

Then use the quadratic formula to solve for Vf1.In summary, the problem involves an elastic head-on collision between two balls with different masses and initial velocities. No external forces act on the balls. To find the velocities after collision, the equations (Vf1)^2 = (Vo1)^2 - (M2/M1)(Vf2)^2 and Vf2 = (M1/M2)(Vo1-Vf1) are used. However, in order to solve for Vf1, the right hand term of the first equation must be expanded and rearranged into a quadratic equation, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula. The final answer for Vf1 is (M1-M2/M1
harkkam
Elastic Collision...Problem

The problem states. The collison is elastic and head on. One ball has a mass of m1=.250kg and initial velocity of 5.00m/s. The other has a mass of m2=.800kg and is initially at rest. No external forces act on the ball. What are the velocities after collision.

So far I got up to a certain point and I get stuck.

I deduced that

(Vf1)^2 = (Vo1)^2 - (M2/M1)(Vf2)^2
Vf2 = (M1/M2)(Vo1-Vf1)

Now when I substitute Vf2 into the first equation I get

(Vf1)^2 = (Vo1)^2 - (M2/M1)[(M1/M2)(Vo1-Vf1)]^2

This is where I get stuck. I can't solve for Vf1. I have the answer but I want to learn the steps to get to.

Vf1= (M1-M2/M1+M2)Vo1

Thnks

Physics news on Phys.org

harkkam said:
Now when I substitute Vf2 into the first equation I get

(Vf1)^2 = (Vo1)^2 - (M2/M1)[(M1/M2)(Vo1-Vf1)]^2

This is where I get stuck. I can't solve for Vf1.
Expand the right hand term, then rearrange so that you end up with a quadratic equation for Vf1.

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with your equations. In order to solve for Vf1, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations.

The conservation of momentum equation states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this problem, since there are no external forces acting on the balls, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be written as:

m1*Vo1 + m2*Vo2 = m1*Vf1 + m2*Vf2

The conservation of kinetic energy equation states that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This can be written as:

1/2*m1*Vo1^2 + 1/2*m2*Vo2^2 = 1/2*m1*Vf1^2 + 1/2*m2*Vf2^2

Now, you can substitute the expression for Vf2 that you found in the first equation into the second equation. This will give you an equation with only one unknown, Vf1. You can then solve for Vf1 using algebraic manipulation.

Once you have solved for Vf1, you can use the equation you found earlier to solve for Vf2.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem solving!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy is not conserved and some of the energy is lost as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, no energy is lost and the objects bounce off each other without any deformation.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is:
v1f= (m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1 + m2)
v2f= (m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i / (m1 + m2)
Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

4. What is the difference between a one-dimensional and a two-dimensional elastic collision?

In a one-dimensional elastic collision, the objects are moving along a straight line, while in a two-dimensional elastic collision, the objects have velocities in different directions and the collision occurs in a plane.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects with different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects with different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses, but the total kinetic energy will still be conserved.