Elastic collision and kinetic energy problem?

In summary, the collision between the sphere and the bar is elastic, and conservation of energy and angular momentum are followed.
LarryJ

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a thin, uniform bar whose length is L and mass is M and a compact hard sphere whose mass is m. The system is supported by a frictionless horizontal surface. The sphere moves to the right with velocity , and strikes the bar at a distance 1/4L from the center of the bar. The collision is elastic, and following the collision the sphere is at rest. The rod is being rotated from its center. Find the value of the ratio m/M.

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2=1/2Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the collision is elastic, so kinetic energy is conserved. But I don't know exactly how find which mass ratios will make the collision elastic. I think I know inertia (1/12MR^2). But I'm basically stuck from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LarryJ! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
LarryJ said:
I know the collision is elastic, so kinetic energy is conserved. But I don't know exactly how find which mass ratios will make the collision elastic. I think I know inertia (1/12MR^2). But I'm basically stuck from there.

angular momentum is also conserved (in any collision, and about any point)

also, you are told that the bar rotates about its centre

so write out the equations for conservation of energy, and for conservation of angular momentum about the centre …

what do you get? :smile:

Kinetic energy: 1/2mv2=1/2Iω2
Angular Momentum: (1/12MR2)(ω)= mv(1/4R)2
So do I set the equations equal to each other and then solve for M and m?

LarryJ said:
So do I set the equations equal to each other and then solve for M and m?

i'm not sure what you mean by "set the equations equal to each other",

but yes, you solve for m/M :smile:

How do I set up an equation to solve for M and m?

try squaring one equation :smile:

Oh I think I got it. 0.57:approve:

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved because there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total energy of the system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy, remains constant.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved in an inelastic collision.

4. How do you calculate the kinetic energy in an elastic collision?

The kinetic energy in an elastic collision can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision can be affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle at which they collide. In addition, external forces, such as friction, can also impact the outcome of an elastic collision.