Elastic Collision - two carts

In summary, the problem involves two carts with spring bumpers on an air track having an elastic collision. One cart has an initial velocity of 1.80 m/s [N] and the other is initially stationary. Using the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the problem can be solved by considering the relative velocities of the two carts before and after the collision. The relative velocities before and after the collision are equal to each other in magnitude but opposite in direction.
Millacol88

Homework Statement

Two carts equipped with spring bumpers on an air track have an elastic collision. The 253-g cart has an initial velocity of 1.80 m/s [N]. The 232-g cart is initially stationary. What is the velocity of each cart after the collision?

Homework Equations

I know because cart 2 is initially stationary:
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
and 1/2m1v1^2 = 1/2 m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve this by rearranging the equations and subbing them into each other, but I keep ending up with really complicated equations that I can't seem to solve. Is there a simpler way to look at a problem like this? I'm fine with most collisions that aren't elastic, but the ones that are I can't do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
With regards to the spring bumpers, was there any given information in the problem about the spring constants?

Nothing. I posted the question verbatim, and there was no diagram either.

Millacol88 said:
I've been trying to solve this by rearranging the equations and subbing them into each other, but I keep ending up with really complicated equations that I can't seem to solve. Is there a simpler way to look at a problem like this? I'm fine with most collisions that aren't elastic, but the ones that are I can't do. Thanks.

The squares of the velocities in the KE formula can definitely complicate things algebraically. Another relationship that you can use in place of it (and is derivable from the conservation of momentum and KE) is that the relative velocities of the two objects after collision is equal to the negative of the relative velocities before the collision. Using variables, suppose that the initial velocities of the objects are v1 and v2, and the final velocities are u1 and u2. Then

(u2 - u1) = -(v2 - v1)

That should make your life *much* easier!

I understand that elastic collisions involve conservation of both momentum and kinetic energy. In this case, since both carts are on an air track, there are no external forces acting on them and therefore we can assume conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

Using the equation you provided, we can set up the following equation:
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Since the initial velocity of cart 2 is 0, we can simplify this to:
m1v1 = m1v1' + 0

We also know that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision, which can be represented by the equation:
1/2m1v1^2 = 1/2 m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

Now we can solve for v1' and v2' by rearranging these equations:
v1' = (m1v1 - m1v1') / m1
v2' = (2m1v1 - m1v1') / m2

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:
v1' = (0.253*1.80 - 0.253*v1') / 0.253 = 1.80 - v1'
v2' = (2*0.253*1.80 - 0.253*v1') / 0.232 = 3.60 - 1.09*v1'

Solving for v1' and v2', we get:
v1' = 0.900 m/s
v2' = 1.10 m/s [N]

Therefore, after the elastic collision, the 253-g cart will have a velocity of 0.900 m/s and the 232-g cart will have a velocity of 1.10 m/s [N].

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision between two carts?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision between two carts because the total momentum of the system (the two carts) before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the momentum of each individual cart may change, but the overall momentum of the system remains constant.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities of two carts after an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities of two carts after an elastic collision is: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two carts, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the carts, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the carts.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their initial velocities and masses, but the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system will still be conserved.

5. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In contrast, an elastic collision has no loss of kinetic energy and the total kinetic energy of the objects remains the same before and after the collision.