1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision: Two carts

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cart 1 on ball-bearing wheels is moving at 4m/sec. It rolls down the hill and hits a stationary cart 2. The collision is elastic. The height of the hill is 1.02 m. Mass of Cart 1: 200 grams; Mass of Cart 2: 400 grams: Find the velocity of cart 1 at point B.

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'; this is all I can think of but I don't have velocity 1 or 2 prime and I'm not sure how to find either of them. I was wondering if I had to use one of the basic kinematic equations because the height of the hill was given, but I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the correct answer (6m/s) , but I would like to know how to do it and I've looked at a couple of kinematic equations with distance in them, but nothing I try seems to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please provide us with your attempted solution, it is not enough to simply say you know what the answer is.

4. Dec 1, 2014 #3
    For my attempt at finding the solution to this problem I tried to use the equation: vf^2=vi^2+2ad thinking that acceleration played a part in the cart's velocity. When I plugged in all the numbers to the variables I received a negative radical of sqrt: -3.992 which clearly wasn't the answer. After receiving this answer I looked at the picture of the diagram (which I am unable to provide) more clearly and after cart 1 moves down the hill it travels a little more before colliding with cart 2 and the distance is not told. I am unable to think an equation that would work.

5. Dec 1, 2014 #4
    Sorry, acceleration of gravity*

6. Dec 1, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What conservation laws do you know of? Which could be applicable here?

7. Dec 1, 2014 #6
    I know of the law of momentum conservation and the equation m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2' describes this principle, and I have a good feeling that this equation would have to be used but I don't have velocity 2 prime so I can't find velocity 1 prime.

8. Dec 1, 2014 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you perhaps relate them with another conservation law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted