Elastic Collision: 1kg Object, 0.7kg Object, 0.2s Interval

In summary, the problem involves a 1kg object moving at 2.0 m/s colliding with a stationary 0.70kg object located at x=0. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the final velocity of the stationary object is found to be 2.353 m/s. The acceleration of the stationary object during the collision is calculated to be 8.24 m/s^2.
ironhawk316

Homework Statement

A 1 Kilogram object with speed of 2.0 m/s in the positive x direction has a head -on elastic collision with a stationary 0.70Kg object located at x=0. What acceleration does the stationary object experiences during the collision if the collision occurs over 0.2 seconds?

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
(1)(2)+(0.7)(0)=(1)(v1f)+(0.7)(v2f)
v1 +0.7 v2f = 2

plug in:

v1+0.7(2+v1)=2
V1+ 1m +0.7 v1=2
1.7=2-1.4
1.7 v1=0.6
v1=0.6/1.7 =0.353 m/s

v2=2+0.353= 2.353 m/s

m2(v2i-v2f)
=0.7(2.353 -0)
=1.6471=ft

F=1.6471/t=1.6471/0.2=8.24N

a=F/m = 8.24/1= 8.24 m/s^2 final answer

Is this correct? Where did I go wrong? Do I have the everything in the right place?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using conservation of momentum and energy find v2f. The rate of change of velocity will give you the acceleration of the stationary body.

Your solution looks correct. However, I would like to clarify that the acceleration experienced by the stationary object during the collision would be equal to the change in velocity divided by the time interval, rather than just the final velocity. So the correct equation would be:

a = (v2f - v2i) / t

In this case, the final velocity of the stationary object would be 2.353 m/s and the initial velocity would be 0 m/s, so the acceleration would be:

a = (2.353 - 0) / 0.2 = 11.765 m/s^2

Other than that, your calculations and understanding of the problem seem to be correct. Good job!

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both objects retain their original shape and energy after the collision. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What is the mass of the objects in this elastic collision?

The mass of the first object is 1kg and the mass of the second object is 0.7kg.

What is the time interval between the objects colliding?

The time interval between the objects colliding is 0.2 seconds.

What is the velocity of the objects before and after the collision?

The velocity of the objects before the collision is not specified, as it depends on the initial conditions of the objects. However, the velocity of the objects after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations.

What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The mass, velocity, and angle of collision are the main factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision. The elasticity of the objects and any external forces acting on the objects can also impact the outcome of the collision.