Elastic Collision Homework: Find Max Angle of Swing

In summary: The block swings up this high, but it starts .32 meters above the ground, so it's highest point is .32+.5= .82 meters above the ground. Then the question is what angle does the .5 meter length of string make with the vertical? (The block goes from 1 meter above the ground to .82 meters above the ground)In summary, the conversation discusses an elastic collision between a rolling ball and a hanging block. The maximum angle that the block swings after the collision is found by using the equations for velocity and energy. The block will leave the surface and some energy will be converted into gravitational potential energy. The logic behind taking an acceleration of 2.5 is not sound without knowing
armolinasf

Homework Statement

There is a ball rolling on a frictionless horizontal surface of mass m and with velocity 5m/s. It collides elastically with a block mass 3m that is initially hanging at rest from a 50 cm wire that is hanging from the ceiling.Find the maximum angle through which the block swings after it is hit

Homework Equations

v=initial velocity=5
Rolling ball=m1=m
Hanging block = m2=3m

Velocity of hanging block after collision: (2m1/(m1+m2))v

Velocity of rolling ball after collision: ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2))v

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the two equations above I get that the velocity of the block is 2.5m/s and velocity of the ball is -2.5m/s. So far this agrees with the fact that this is an elastic collision the knietic energy afterwards is equal to the knietic energy before the collision.

So to find the angle I'm thinking that I need to find how far the block travels in the x direction, that way I can take the arctangent of the length of the string divided by the distance x to find an angle W.

I use the work energy theorem:W=Fx=max=K after. The masses will cancel so I have ax=K after. But the acceleration is just dv/dt which is a change in velocity over a very short time interval. My thinking is the collision is short enough to be called dt and since it goes from rest to 2.5 m/s that a=2.5.

X would then be (.5)(3)(2.5^2)/(2.5)=3.75 meters

angle W would then be arctan(375/50)=82 degrees

This does not seem reasonable since it would mean that the ball would leave the ground and some energy would be converted into gravitation potential energy...help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The block WILL leave the surface, since it's suspended like a pendulum by the 50cm wire. That means energy WILL be converted into gravitational PE...

How would I calculate the upward movement if the initial momentum is entirely in the x direction?

armolinasf said:
How would I calculate the upward movement if the initial momentum is entirely in the x direction?

Use a conservation of energy approach. You've already got the block's initial post-collision velocity...

The initial kinetic energy was equal to 12.5 J and the kinetic energy of the block is 9.4 and the ball is 3.1 unless one of those velocities is wrong there isn't any more energy in the system to be accounted for...

Also I am curious, is the logic behind taking a=2.5 is sound?

armolinasf said:
The initial kinetic energy was equal to 12.5 J and the kinetic energy of the block is 9.4 and the ball is 3.1 unless one of those velocities is wrong there isn't any more energy in the system to be accounted for...

Also I am curious, is the logic behind taking a=2.5 is sound?

Since you don't have the actual masses of the ball or block, you can't really put a numerical KE value to either. (although you could say that the "specific KE" of the block is 12.5 J/kg)

The KE of the block is going to be converted to gravitational PE as it swings upwards on the end of the wire.

Regarding your value of acceleration, no, you really can't put a figure to the acceleration without knowing the actual time duration of the impact event. For nearly perfect undeformable objects this time would be vanishingly small, and the acceleration would approach infinite! Better to think in terms of impulse in those situations.

But you've got the KE of the block, and a way forward with energy conservation. So onward-ho!

Ok, So I set the KE=12.5=mgH and solved for H since this is where all the KE is converted into gravitational PE. H=.318. Since this is the distance above the ground I subtracted it from the length of the rope. This length then was the adjacent side of a right triangle formed by this side and the hypotenuse equal to the length of the string. arcos(50-32)/50 gave an angle of 67 degrees.

armolinasf said:
Ok, So I set the KE=12.5=mgH and solved for H since this is where all the KE is converted into gravitational PE. H=.318. Since this is the distance above the ground I subtracted it from the length of the rope. This length then was the adjacent side of a right triangle formed by this side and the hypotenuse equal to the length of the string. arcos(50-32)/50 gave an angle of 67 degrees.

Keep in mind that the mass of the block is 3m...

My mistake KE=12.5 was supposed to be KE=9.4...I should write it out: .5mv^2=mgh ==> H=v^2/2g. v=2.5, So 2.5^2/2(9.8)=.32

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

How is the maximum angle of swing calculated in an elastic collision?

The maximum angle of swing can be calculated using the conservation of energy and momentum equations. This involves determining the initial and final velocities of the objects, as well as their masses and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of elasticity).

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is a dimensionless value between 0 and 1, where 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision (no loss of kinetic energy) and 0 represents a completely inelastic collision (all kinetic energy is lost).

How does the angle of swing affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The angle of swing can affect the outcome of an elastic collision by changing the direction and magnitude of the final velocities of the objects. The maximum angle of swing represents the largest angle at which the objects can collide and still maintain the same energy and momentum.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include a game of pool, a bouncing ball, and a pendulum swinging back and forth. In each of these scenarios, the objects involved experience a collision where the total kinetic energy is conserved.