Noncentral Elastic Collision: Return to Moving Particles

In summary, to return to the system where both particles are moving, you need to add the velocity of the particle at rest to both particles and keep all angles unchanged.
Gavroy
hi

i am describing a noncentral elastic collision between two particles. therefore i assumed that one of them is at rest. now i want to return back to the system where both particles are moving. do i only need to add the velocity of the particle at rest to both of them and leave all angles unchanged or is there something else i have to keep in mind? i am a little bit uncertain about this whole thing.

thank you for any kind of help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This link might help: www . phi . duke . edu/courses/217/MottScatteringReport/node8.html

sorry, link does not work.

Gavroy said:
hi

i am describing a noncentral elastic collision between two particles. therefore i assumed that one of them is at rest. now i want to return back to the system where both particles are moving. do i only need to add the velocity of the particle at rest to both of them and leave all angles unchanged or is there something else i have to keep in mind? i am a little bit uncertain about this whole thing.

thank you for any kind of help!

Just take your reference frame as one in which one of the particles is initially at rest. I.e. subtract that velocity everywhere from the initial conditions and add it back in everywhere to the answer.

I can provide some guidance on how to return to the system where both particles are moving after assuming one was at rest. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved. Therefore, to return to the moving particles system, you should add the velocity of the stationary particle to both particles and leave all angles unchanged. This will ensure that the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system remain unchanged. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. If you are still uncertain, consulting with a colleague or conducting further research may help clarify any doubts.

1. What is a noncentral elastic collision?

A noncentral elastic collision is a type of collision between two or more particles in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In this type of collision, the particles may have different masses and velocities, and they do not collide at a single point but rather at different points along their paths.

2. How is a noncentral elastic collision different from a central elastic collision?

In a central elastic collision, the particles collide at a single point, whereas in a noncentral elastic collision, the particles collide at different points along their paths. Additionally, in a central collision, the total linear momentum of the system is conserved, whereas in a noncentral collision, both the total linear momentum and the total angular momentum are conserved.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in a noncentral elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in a noncentral elastic collision is v1f = (m1 - m2)v1i / (m1 + m2) and v2f = 2m1v1i / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles and v1i and v2i are their initial velocities.

4. What are the assumptions made in a noncentral elastic collision?

The main assumptions made in a noncentral elastic collision are that the particles are point masses, there are no external forces acting on the system, and the collision is instantaneous.

5. What are some real-life examples of noncentral elastic collisions?

Some examples of noncentral elastic collisions in real life include the collision of atoms or molecules in a gas, the collision of particles in a particle accelerator, and the collision of celestial bodies in space.